Minimum Requirements For A Transmission Uninstall / Install?

Hello,

I posted earlier about a clutch that wouldn't disengage. 1990 2.5L 4 cylinder RWD. With a little help from this forum I got it working again (filled and bled clutch hydraulic fluid) and have determined (mostly) that the issue is a failing slave cylinder. There's a slow leak from the slave which is related somehow.

I'd like to install a new clutch kit (including slave) and master cylinder, but the slave install requires me to remove the transmission. I'm not a mechanic, don't have a lift and only have a regular jack, not a transmission jack. I own basic tools including a standard / metric socket set, but no real specific car / truck tools.

Is a regular jack with a board or something and a standard set of home tools sufficient to remove the transmission, install the kit and re-install the transmission? I read about passing some chains through the shifter housing to suspend the transmission from the truck. Apparently this in tandem with a rigged jack can do the trick. I don't have a lift, either, and am not sure there's enough clearance to even do what I need to do.

Anyone done this before? I'd prefer to do it myself both for cost savings and to learn a bit, but not if it's near impossible or I'll risk seriously damaging something.

Thanks in advance!

I just did this two days ago, so the pain is still fresh in my mind and body.

I worked on it alone, but had a tranny jack. Being 4wd I think a tranny jack is almost a must, but with your 2wd, I think you could get by with a regular floor jack. Don't think a bottle jack would be wise.

You will want to remove the shift lever from inside the cab first.

I found it easier to loosen the exhaust, but mine was a 4.0L, and yours is different, so can't say for sure.

Remove the rear drive shaft, and drain the fluid first or get a bath.

The crossmember comes completely off, so real easy to drop the tranny with it gone. Very doable if the bolts aren't rusted...

If you can afford to spend just a few bucks more, you can swap in a external slave cylinder and bellhousing to avoid this issue in the future. Here is a write-up from JeepForum I found to be helpful. I think another CC member linked it in their write-up but I can't remember which one. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/leans-ax-15-external-slave-swap-pics-965067/

Biotex has the basics down for sure but I IMPLORE you...get a tranny jack, or at least a motorcyle jack. You'll play hell trying to balance the tranny on a simple floor jack...just sayin'. I tried it that way first...fell off twice. I borrowed a tranny jack. Made allllll the difference.

Last AX-5 I installed, I got it up under the truck with a standard 3 ton floor jack, then bolted on the crossmember without the trans mount. This let me use the jack to adjust the bell while lining everything up from behind, without the chance of it dropping on me. Once it was bolted to the motor, I popped the crossmember back off, and reinstalled with the mount.

Forgot to mention...

When you go to reinstall it, do yourself a huge favor and get a couple of long bolts that bolt into the block. Cut the hex head off and thread them into the block. These will serve as guide pins so you can stab the tranny easier with those two bolts holding the weight. This will make it much easier to get the input shaft of the transmission to align with the pilot bearing. Which reminds me... Replace the pilot bearing.

You are going to want to read up on how to use grease to hydraulicaly drive the old one out...

Last AX-5 I installed, I got it up under the truck with a standard 3 ton floor jack

Yes, I know it CAN be done...but really a tranny jack, or even a HF motorcycle jack is far superior to a regular old floor jack IMHO. Just makes life alot easier if you're doing it alone.

Pilot bearings are in the crank.

Pilot was in the flywheel in my '86 2.5.

A transmission jack will make the clutch replacement much more enjoyable. Been there, done that with a floor jack and will never do it again now that I have a transmission jack.

You should be able to do a clutch swap in a 2.5 with basic tools, no funky external torx to deal with. I would suggest buying a tap/drill bits and new bolts for the crossmember as it will be rusted and the bolts will probably snap.

You should be able to do a clutch swap in a 2.5 with basic tools, no funky external torx to deal with. I would suggest buying a tap/drill bits and new bolts for the crossmember as it will be rusted and the bolts will probably snap.

No probably about it. Unless this is one of those fabled southern trucks that never rust, some of them will definitely snap.