Looking Into Going Ev With Sc Red October

MJRemi

have you looked into this any further, MJRemi.   i friended them on fb and they seem to have a lot of cool projects going on.

I actually had to put any and all projects on hold for a few months until I get back from WA State. I'm going to be up there for a month looking at properties and if I decide to buy something, I will need to have all my money freed up for a down payment. If I don't buy anything, I will begin the conversion or restoration when I get back. If I go the EV route I will start a Projects thread and keep CC informed with lots of tech and photos.

You may not need to shift much, depending on the motor. I remember Tesla ditching the two-speed tranny in the Roadster and just going with a fixed ratio gearbox since the tranny just added complexity and mass. It makes much more sense to have it behind the solid coupling of the clutch and manual tranny than the torque converter of an auto. Although in all honesty, you could just simply do away with the clutch or tc, but it still would likely be better to be able to pick a single ratio and go with it, choose another if you need more/less torque for towing or whatever.

• 8 months later...

Remi did you ever get a cost estimate or anything on the conversion before you left So Cal?
I gotta check that site out.  I kind like the idea of coverting although for other reasons I don't.

I just love the idea of instantaneous screaming torque and such... lol

I haven't gotten a quote yet, in fact I ended up buying another property in WA and the SC has just been sitting. I'm torn between towing it up there as a spare truck or selling it from San Diego. I won't be restoring it like I wanted and if any member would like to PM me about buying it, I'll give a great deal including a bunch of extras I have to go with it.

relevant: this video would convert anybody!

No it wouldn't. I broke into the high 10's ( but dialed 11:30 in ET) in a 4,300# sled with less than $5,000 invested. It was a modified stocker with everything done at home but some machine work in less than a month.  He has been building this thing for 20 years!! I did nothing but oil changes & basic tune-up on it for three years while racing it every weekend. He blows batteries and circuits regularly. How much cash and labor do you think is invested in that tiny Datsun? What do you think the upkeep runs dollar wise? How fast would the drive train from my Plymouth be in that toy import? 8's? Until it ripped it in half? I noted that it does not met any NHRA safety standards for 10's, either. The fact that this is from the Left coast and on a PBS show and avoids hard questions isn't shocking either, Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.  There are people who think 2-stroke powered skate boards are cool, too.

• 1 month later...

that plymouth sounds like a super fun project and good value per good times. ( mind you, just to buy any plymouth muscle car nowadays is probably as much money as a tesla). i like the idea of electric for the street though, and id love to have an ev comanche. either 2 or 4 wheel drive.  it's still very new technology but the numbers and power are there. now if they could just get the batteries to last longer. i've seen some really good motorcyles, both street and motocross. snowmobiles would be great for the back country.  people just don't like a lot of noise anymore.