Np 231 Or Np 242 Transfer Case?

So is your argument that an autolocker doesnt lock when power is applied in all 4wd settings?

Or is it that its ok to drive on dry pavement with the front axles locked together?

There is no way around it the locker has to be locked if power is applied to it so I guess what your saying is thats ok.

This makes me wonder why manufactures bother with spider gears when the could save money and just put in a spool. According to your logic the rig would still drive fine.

Being old doesnt make you right.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your argument, mnkyboy, is simple....driving with a locked front end is not fun. A 242 would lock it while in full time or part time. But so would a 231 in 4x4,or a 249 in any mode but neutral.

Both a 231 and a 242 have 2wd.

If you were in a situation where full time was necessary, you would be able to handle the auto locker.

Your argument should be presented more in a seperate topic of it's own stating that driving with a powered auto locker in a front axle sucks for anything but 4lo wheeling.

So, point remains that anyone thinking that an auto locker in a front axle on a dd is just plain dumb.

Being young probably makes you wrong more than right. That's a simple fact that even I as a 26 year old stubborn male can admit to

My intent wasnt ment to take this so far, I simply made a comment that turned into this.

I agree in some cases it would be manageable, but not all. I think the point of full time is its versatility in many different situations.

Then there some people put their rig in full time and never take it out.

I believe it is a good point to consider when running a full time case. What people do with it is up to them.

231 vs 242;

I swapped a 231 for a 242 on a vehicle I wheeled. Like said before it hangs lower so if you go with the 242 put a good skid under it. I was running an ARB in the front so the situation Mnkyboy was describing was a non-issue. If I was running a Detroit, for example, the full-time function of the 242 would cause the front axles to lock, really defeating the purpose of full-time. If you're going to run an autolocker in the front don't run a 242.

Mnkyboy and jeepco are correct Eagle is wrong.

Also no one should listen to Eagle, he is a bully. He is also incredibly closed minded and stubborn, even when he is wrong. Eagle is a grumpy old man who only logs on here to tell other people that they're wrong, he gets off on feeling like a "know it all". Comanche Club would be better off without him.

Only a tard would put an auto locker in the front end of a dd

Or someone unaware or misinformed which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

Lots of people choose to run autolockers in DDs they just don't use 4wd on the street.

I don't see what Eagles issue is with what I said. Reguardless of what the t case is doing internally if its sending power to the wheels the locker has to lock. I don't see how he can argue that.

Also if the two axles are locked solid it has to affect handling especially in corners where the wheels need to spin at different speeds. This cannot be argued either.

He keeps going back to the t case which I agree does not care what the axle is doing.

Your argument has nothing to do with the transfercase. It has to do with simply being In 4wd, making it an inappropriate comment given the original question of the thread, as that has nothing to do with the topic of dd duty and which tease you would prefer.

How do you think the Grand Cherokee WJ with the original Quadra-Drive works? Both axles have automatic lockers, and the transfer case has an internal differential. My WJ was a piece of junk for a lot of other reasons, but I loved the Quadra-Drive system.

Again, apples to oranges. You may want to research a little better as the Quadra-Drive does not have auto lockers in both axles, but limited slip diffs.

On-demand; utilizes a gerotor coupling in the transfer case and in the Vari-Lok front and rear progressive axles to send torque to the front driveshaft and/or from side-to-side within each axle when wheel slippage occurs; includes low-range (2:72:1) single-lever transfer case mode operation.

Again, apples to oranges. You may want to research a little better as the Quadra-Drive does not have auto lockers in both axles, but limited slip diffs.

Not really limited slip, although they did use clutches for locking. In operation the Quadra-Drive diffs functioned exactly opposite to a clutch-type limited slip like a Trac-Lok.

In a Trac-Lok, which most of us here are familiar with, the clutches are normally engaged. If one wheel loses traction, the clutches allow the axle to transmit torque/power to the opposite wheel -- up to a point. If the amount of power/torque exceeds the gripping force of the clutches, they release and the diff functions as an open axle. This is what allows the diff to be "transparent" to the driver when turning corners on dry pavement.

In the original Quadra-Drive, the diffs are normally UNlocked. When one wheel begins to rotate faster than the other wheel on the same axle, the valve in the internal gerotor pump begins to open, sending hydraulic pressure to the clutches and progressively engaging the locking function of the differential. Since the Quadra-Drive system was always in full-time 4WD (the only option was to shift into low range), this was always working. It was quite aggressive, and under some conditions it was obviously operating on dry pavement. Usually, though, it was "fairly" transparent on the street. Engagement off road and in slippery conditions was very aggressive.

The original Quadra-Drive system was completely mechanical-hydraulic. There were no sensors involved, and no computers. I know the Quadra-Drive II is different (which is why it's called Quadra-Drive II). I've never read anything that fully explained why Jeep changed the entire system after just a couple of years, but I know that "VNH" (vibration, noise & harshness) was a big concern in the Grand Cherokees, so my best guess is that the original Quadra-Drive's occasional lack of "transparency" wasn't acceptable to the NVH engineers.

Too bad, because that part of the '99 WJ was great. The rest of the vehicle, however, was pretty much junk.

I'm not putting a locker in the front at the moment or any time soon. If I do decide to do a locker I will do gears while I'm in there at the same time. And I have learned a lot and I don't do four wheel drive anything pavement. I don't have to worry about snow. I asked for Offroad purposes. Not street but thank you guys.

I'm not putting a locker in the front at the moment or any time soon. If I do decide to do a locker I will do gears while I'm in there at the same time. And I have learned a lot and I don't do four wheel drive anything pavement. I don't have to worry about snow. I asked for Offroad purposes. Not street but thank you guys.

Original post: So stock on my 1990 Comanche I have a np231 transfer case. I have a np242 on my 1989 jeep Cherokee donor. Now I posted this before and I don't have it in my threads anymore. How ever I see people with the np242 on here now and trying to figure out if I wanna switch them out. Looking for people's $0.02.

You got the people's $0.02 crapstorm. Five pages worth. :ack: :shake:

Fulltime isnt really for going offroad, thats what part time is for.

Not that it won't work offroad but its main purpose is road use.

IMO it would be a nice option for a driver but I wouldnt swap a 231 to a 242 for offroad use.

Cuz the extra gear for offroading. To see what others had to say about it.

What extra gear? The 242 doesn't offer an additional ratio -- the full-time 4x4 position is still high range, 1:1 ratio, just like the part-time high range. The full-time position is something that's useful in street driving, when pavement conditions may alternate between slippery and dry frequently. It offers no advantages that I can think of for off-road.

You got the people's $0.02 crapstorm. Five pages worth. :ack: :shake:

Yep - - LOL

This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started contributing, not knowing what it was, and they'll go on contributing forever just because, This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started contributing, not knowing what it was, and they'll go on contributing forever just because . . . . .

:banana: