Np 231 Or Np 242 Transfer Case?

I have run a welded front on the street. But I had a disconnect front with manual disconnect, so it was only slight binding. Turning sucked with it no matter what. Auto lockers still don't allow you to turn very well even unloaded.

Here is my point; While driving with a loaded/engaged auto locker may suck, it in no way is going to cause issues for an np242. All of the binding will happen to the axle shafts, not the transfercase. That's fact.

Now, if you want to say "it also has alloy shafts". I'll tell you to come back down to earthy....anyone running alloy shafts in a Dana 30 either got an awesome as heck deal on them, or has too much money to play with making the argument moot as they would also likely have an atlas or Klune v.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my point; While driving with a loaded/engaged auto locker may suck, it in no way is going to cause issues for an np242. All of the binding will happen to the axle shafts, not the transfercase. That's fact.

That is correct, I never said it would affect the t case itself. Its the t case and the purpose of full time that will cause the problem but the axle will have the problem.

My point is the two parts don't mix well and you will lose the use of full time as it was intended for road use.

The thread is about 231 vs 242 I simply pointed out that if you put in an autolocker you will loose fulltime which is the number one reason to swap in a 242 in the first place.

If someone chooses to drive on the road with a locked front locker thats on them, imo its not safe.

How can full time 4wd work with an autolocker? Lock the front of a Jeep with a 242, go drive around on pavement in full time then tell me how that works out for you. You must run selectables if you want to keep the full time setting and if you give up fulltime there is no point in having a 242.

Please explain your reasoning.

The full-time position uses a mechanical differential in the transfer case to allow the front and rear driveshafts to turn at different rotational speeds. The transfer case doesn't know and doesn't care in the front or rear differential is locked.

When you are in full time you are supplying power to the front axle which will lock an autolocker so any time you are in full time the axle is locked. This defeats the purpose of the full time for street use which is the main reason people swap in a 242 in the first place.

The purpose of running full-time 4WD on the street is to have four wheels driving rather than two. Running with an auto-locker just helps ensure that all the wheels are working. I fail to see a problem. How does this in any way defeat the purpose of the full-time 4WD system? Seems to me it enhances it.

Driving in full time with an auto locker would be the same as driving in part time with one, which anybody with a brain knows you don't do on dry pavement.

You don't run a part-time transfer case in 4WD on dry pavement because the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and MUST rotate at the same speed. But the front wheels travel a wider arc than the rear wheels on turns, which means any time the vehicle is not traveling absolutely straight ahead, the drive shafts are trying to spin at different speed and are being resisted by the transfer case. Eventually, that strain results in something breaking.

The full-time option, with the internal differential in the transfer case, completely eliminates this issue. That's why it's there.

It has nothing to do with the t case itself. Its the fact that the full time function will cause the front locker to lock which is not a desirable thing in the situations that most people use full time.

Its not either part thats having a problem,its just the way they react to each other.

Would you want to be driving around on pavement with the front end locked?

mnkyboy, you have stated your case, and you keep regurgitating the same thing, but you're wrong. I'm not going to convince you, and you're certainly not going to convince me regardless of how many times you restate your position.

You set your truck up the way you want, so allow other people to set theirs up the way they want.

Simple.

Have you ever gone around a corner with the rear locked? Now imagine that with your steer axle.

How about with BOTH locked?

How do you think the Grand Cherokee WJ with the original Quadra-Drive works? Both axles have automatic lockers, and the transfer case has an internal differential. My WJ was a piece of junk for a lot of other reasons, but I loved the Quadra-Drive system.

How about with BOTH locked?

How do you think the Grand Cherokee WJ with the original Quadra-Drive works? Both axles have automatic lockers, and the transfer case has an internal differential. My WJ was a piece of junk for a lot of other reasons, but I loved the Quadra-Drive system.

No Eagle, you're misrepresenting the way the Quadra-drive works.

I like my 242 more than the old 231. It just provides another weather related option on the road. And come winter time I just put in full time and leave it there so wife and kids don't have to mess with shifting in and out of 4X4 when they drive on different road conditions.

Apples to oranges. Mnkyboy is simply warning against using an auto locker in the front if you plan on running a 242 in the full-time position. An auto locker locks under acceleration, and you don't want a locked front axle on the pavement when turning. I surely don't know who would.

The QuadraDrive systems are nothing like the 242 in fulltime with a front auto locker. The QuadraDrive systems only lock up differentials when slippage is indicated via the computer sensors. I love the QuadraDrive II in my '05 Grand, really gets the Hemi power to the ground.

The QuadraDrive systems are nothing like the 242 in fulltime with a front auto locker. The QuadraDrive systems only lock up differentials when slippage is indicated via the computer sensors. I love the QuadraDrive II in my '05 Grand, really gets the Hemi power to the ground.

That's the Quadra-Drive II. The '99 WJ used no computers.

I know how Quadra-Drive worked, and I know what an automatic locker is. I understand that mnkyboy doesn't want a locker with a 242, but his explanation of why he thinks it's bad is utter nonsense. A lot of people also spout similar alarmist BS about how terrible even a limited slip is in snow. I'll be 69 years old in a month. I've been driving since I was 12, legally since I was 16, and except for a year in Maryland and a year in Vietnam courtesy of the U.S. Army, I've always lived in New England. I've been driving vehicles with limited slips or lockers since 1966, and if I had my druthers I'd never own a vehicle that didn't have at least a Trac-Lok.

You guys do what you want, but stop spreading disinformation to support your own phobias.