85 Diesel Tow Jeep San Diego

I bought one of those tugs a couple of years ago. I purchased a junker Wagoneer for the axles, and a junker YJ for the bed. I had about $5k invested when I finished, but had a really cool diesel Jeep when it was over with. I ran 35's, and that thing would run 80mph all day long. Stabe too. No road wander at all. I sold it to a friend for $5K and he DD's it.

I had a set of soft doors and the hard doors, but was more fun with no doors.

If you're not familiar with these CJ10A tugs, they are basically a merger of a CJ tub on a shortened Cherokee frame. Wagoneer D44's and springs are a direct bolt in. The cherokee frame is twice as beefy as a CJ's, so there is no flex. Makes for an incredibly capable crawler. The normally aspirated SD33 diesel engine is kind of doggy, but add the turbo option and it wakes up. I wheeled that truck in Ouray on all the trails, and it did fine up to about 13,000 feet. Then she started stubling. Never let me down though.

I ran 4.10's, and found them to be the minimum you want without the turbo. Fuel mileage was not as good as expected at 17mpg. I think the 35's and 4.10's was the reason. I didn't care though. It was a toy!

I bought one of those tugs a couple of years ago. I purchased a junker Wagoneer for the axles, and a junker YJ for the bed. I had about $5k invested when I finished, but had a really cool diesel Jeep when it was over with. I ran 35's, and that thing would run 80mph all day long. Stabe too. No road wander at all. I sold it to a friend for $5K and he DD's it.

I had a set of soft doors and the hard doors, but was more fun with no doors.

Cool! Just cool! And now I want one.