Jeep Locked Up And Skid To A Stop... Almost Died.

My 1988 jeep comanche 4.0 4x4 auto died on me over xmas break in my home town 2 1/2 hours away. long story short it was the cps. Left it there, got it repaired and ran fine. went to drive it 2 1/2 hours home tonight and got 1 mile from the house. I was slowing to a stop maybe 20 mph coming to a stop light and all the sudden my tires locked up and i came skidding (Storming bad also) to a stop and slid into the oncoming lane.

It was still idling when it came to a stop fine. it was in drive, then pressed the gas and it wouldn't go anywhere. Reverse however worked. I had to reverse off the road through a ditch to get to a parking lot. I got stuck in the ditch, then tried 4wd. It wouldn't engage though, The tried drive and it went in. shimmied my way unstuck and felt it starting to sink again in the mud so i tried 4wd again and it worked. then reversed in 4wd out of the ditch and over the curb into the parking lot.

After all that I got out looked around and everything seemed fine on the truck and drove it straight home?!?!?! no noises or anything really!!!

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED?!?!!?

the truck has been converted to 4x4 by the PO. the engien has 105k on it. I have a 1991 np231 unknown mileage, that just had a sye installed with a tom woods drive shaft professionally and he said the transfer case looked very good inside. and I know nothing about the transmission.

It was very loud and violent and it was not just the rear breaks locking up and coming to the stop because it was wet. That has happened to me plenty of times before in other cars. Is it possible the trans tried to down shift and locked up or Somthing?

Ok so I'm going to pull the rear diff cover off then. I already have a 8.8 with 4.10ssitting in the garage just have got the bracket kit to put it on and still trying to get together stuff to regear the front at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, and take lots of pictures because i have an 8.8 sitting in my shop ready to go in mine. I have the brackets also and only reason I haven't started on it is because I can't decide if i want SOA or not. The larger tubes and SOA must net 6 to 7" of lift, then those military wrapped springs on the way another 1.5 to 2".

Just not sure i could keep it driveable on the highway.

Anyways, sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Does your 8.8 have discs? Mine does, and that also worries me a bit. Might lock up the rears too easily unless running 33's.

Yeah, and take lots of pictures because i have an 8.8 sitting in my shop ready to go in mine. I have the brackets also and only reason I haven't started on it is because I can't decide if i want SOA or not. The larger tubes and SOA must net 6 to 7" of lift, then those military wrapped springs on the way another 1.5 to 2".

Just not sure i could keep it driveable on the highway.

Anyways, sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Does your 8.8 have discs? Mine does, and that also worries me a bit. Might lock up the rears too easily unless running 33's.

No problem. Yea I'm already SOA and a a seriously stupid rake from the PO. The plan was to go ahead and use some cash I had saved up for long arms in the front to run about 8 inches of lift. but plans have changed now. Looks like all the money will be spent getting that 8.8 trused, locked,and looking real nice to put under there and to regear the front at the same time.

If this is a DD, I would suggest against an automatic locker in the rear. Also don't forget wheel spacers or wheels with less backspacing to clear the inside wall of the rear wheel wells as the 8.8 is not as wide as our stock axles. And unless you plan to jump it, there is no reason to truss that axle other then throw away money better spent elsewhere (although welding the tubes to the diff housing would be good).

If this is a DD, I would suggest against an automatic locker in the rear. Also don't forget wheel spacers or wheels with less backspacing to clear the inside wall of the rear wheel wells as the 8.8 is not as wide as our stock axles. And unless you plan to jump it, there is no reason to truss that axle other then throw away money better spent elsewhere (although welding the tubes to the diff housing would be good).

Its not a DD its a weekend wheeler. i was going to put a lunch box locker in it. and the tires don't even come close to the frame rails. its got 9 inches of lift in the back with 32's haha

MVUSSE is correct about welding the tubes. The 8.8 rear end is supposed to be around 20% stronger than a D44. As light as these Comanches are, and as narrow as the axles are, I also agree that a truss is a waste of money if you were to have to purchase one. But hey, they do look cool, and if you ever link the rear, then a truss makes more sense to me.