Swapped New Struts In My Caravan, Now The Steering Wheel Is Off...

Pete M

seriously?! new struts, new brakes, new sway bar links (technically they are all used, but in good shape), now my steering wheels is canted to the left a bit. wtf. far as I can tell the van tracks straight and I don't hear any weird tire scrubbing noises. The van that donated its struts didn't have any front end damage either. thoughts?

are the bolts holes on the new struts round or egg shaped? they may have slots to adjust camber, which would throw off the wheel.

sounds like you probably swapped in the whole strut assemblies with springs in place, so you may have a sagging spring, which will also throw off the camber.

no, turning at the knuckle doesn't change the alignment.

No - knuckle moves, so does SW - - - Went & looked at my rampage since the fwd L bodies shared tons of suspension parts with 1st 2 gens minivans & I don't see how things could've changed much for the basic layout for the 96-2000 jobs - - - - dunno - - steering wheel was centered B4, right? - - did you have to disco the racks ti rods for the strut install? - - The only other thing under there on my truck is the steering couppler - - - 220K - - the struts were shot twice over if OE - ti rods prob need replace too if orig.

I replaced the whole steering assembly tre-to-tre a couple years ago (boy was that a fun job!). nothing was disconnected this time except the strut assembly and sway bar links. and yes the wheel was correct before. :thumbsup: struts were replace at least once before, but that was before the van was mine.

I'll pop off the tires tomorrow and check for any camber adjust-ability. I don't remember any but that doesn't mean it's not there. :doh:

the van doesn't look any taller in the front, but I never thought to check before and after heights. :doh:

and one more face-palm, just for the heck of it :doh:

Went to my Dodge forum & dfreeman616 is correct - slotted holes - for camber adj - If you've the old struts they prob have wear marks from where the strut to knuckle mount bolts were? - - Followed a link & came up with http://www.2carpros....el-alignment��- - The toe adj at the end caught my eye - - - in short: Center SW & CLAMP - - Set toe - - - Adjust steering gear to tie rod boots at the inner tie rod - - -remove clamp - - - Found no reliable info on caster - - Having said all this & thinking back only onna 95 & a 99 did I replace struts & I had a shop do the 99 - while I waited - maybe 30 min - on the 95 I just in & out & outside of the 3hr or so it took me no prob - - Not recommending, but there's always the old make do until warmer weather arrives - Nothing obvious - drives ok? - Pop the SW-center & drive keeping an eye/ear out for any red flags - Hope somma this helped - Kinda just jumped in cause mini vans/Toyota4x4s were a $ makin hobby for me & I still love the vans

:hmm:

Don't know WTF goin on wi text inna this post - - tried to edit - Maybe automatic BS edit feature

:hmm:

WTF? Is my PC infected wi the Jim O' virus?

The link is: wwwdot2carprosdotcom& /questions/dodge-caravan-1999-dodge-caravan-front-or-4-wheel-alignment

:doh:

Got lucky on this one - Was a Speed Chanel project a few yr back - rust free vin64 - everything out for eng & tranny rebuild - complete body & paint - new int - the works - Now almost finished changing to my particulars - Had fun wi it last summer - gonna be even better this spring - - Saw it on KC Mecum auction & then later online - - Scumbag PO/Dealer tried cover up on mostly time belt prob - & after a few no takes/offer I got it for basically nada - Sometimes you da bug - Sometimes you da windshield

:yes: