The "get Me By" Mj Truggy

Part number? No idea unfortunately, it was in the jeep when I got it.

On another note, the 231/300 and triple sticks are going up for sale, if anyone is interested let me know. Friend is selling his atlas!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so to catch up a little on where my thoughts are headed. Right now I'm at 6 up/10 down in the front with 2" bumps and 8 up/ 8 down in the rear with 4" bumps. I was planning on 8/8 in the rear for two reasons. 1. It seems silly to me to run a 4" bump stop with only 6" of travel, what is the point of running dual rates if you've only got 2" of travel before hitting the bump stop, basically negating most of the softer dual rate. Leaving a very short transition between either running a really short rate stop or compressing the bumps. 2. With the 231/300 and motor pushed back my rear DS is less than 30" and JB is back ordered on their 32 spline upgrade making 1410 yokes hard to come by and I don't think I can get enough travel to run 1350 and don't want to be constantly breaking 1310s.

Soooo, that led me to selling the doubler set up and buying a buddies brand new atlas 4.3. Between the atlas and switching to the newly acquired ax15 I'll be losing over 10" of drivetrain length, making both shafts almost equal length. And that led me to wanting more down travel in the rear. So thinking about running triangulated lowers and straight trailing arm uppers. I'll be possibly sacrificing some stability but I think between the rear anti rock and how wide the chassis is I think I can move my uppers out far enough to make up for it. So I'm shooting for 20" of total wheel travel in the rear, which given this rig is primarily just a trail rig I'd like to some day build an ultra 4 buggy and so I'd like to experiment with some go fast tuning. I've decided this rig is basically just one big experiment for me to test my skills and push myself into territory I've never been. No one in our group has really built anything like this before so I've been kinda of shooting in the dark as to what's going to work based on all I've gathered from this board. This thread has been mostly pictures and I'd like to get some tech in here so if anyone has any feed back, advice I'd love to hear it.

Summary of the rig:

4.0/ax15/atlas 4.3

115" wb

39.5s

20" belly

16" FOAs

6/10 in front

8/12 rear with the trailing arms

Anti rock rear

Welded up the pass motor mount

Went wheelin with tribe 4x4 to break in the new ultra 4 buggy and test out my cousins CJ5

Got home and my seats had been delivered. Decided it was worth it to spend the money and get new corbeau baja ultras. I've decided in my older age that something's are worth just buying new. And these def were!

Driver motor mount is done

Built a stand for the vice

Threw a piece of tube in that I'm calling the driver heel support, when I cut off the frame I lowered the chassis and raised the belly, so under the cowl is a little tight, but my size 13 feet have just enough room.

When building a tube frame like this I really don't see any reason not too, solves a lot of packaging issues and I'm already buying tube anyway, why buy coolant lines too??

Got the grill in its "final" position and started designing the front tube work. Didn't make it as far tonight as I was hoping, everywhere I turn I'm realizing these jeeps are a lot more curved than they appear.

The cowl piece took a while to figure out, 5 bends, 5 rotations and the cowl actually curves in and down... Pretty happy with the fit, I'll trim that drip edge down to bring it in tighter.

Got the top of the grill bar bent up tonight too but no helpers to hold $#!& in place means no pics...

The plan is to run the tube up by the cowl and one behind the grill, then all the supporting tube work/engine cage will intersect the hood, so instead of sectioning the hood I'll cut it into 3 panels, the one in the center above the motor pinned and the two sides will prob be bolted.

While I was staring at it a grabbed the frame rail tube I screwed up and mocked up a fender, gonna bend another one to match.

Slowly but surely...

• 1 month later...

I've searched and read alot trying to decide what my MJ would look like in a couple years when I move up to ton's.... very nice pipe work.... excellent job on the coping ....  subscribed :popcorn:

Thanks, I've really come to like these MJs and would really like to build a more mild DD version of this using what I've learned about how intricate the shape of these cabs actually are. They aren't the box they initially appear. Got some really good ideas for another one... With a lot more sheetmetal ;)

BLING!!!

Did some measuring and with the aw4/231/300 my front and rear drive shafts were 55" in the front and only 25" in the rear. With the ax15/atlas I'm at 40 in the front and 35" in the rear. Should make the rear drive shaft a lot happier with the 20" of rear travel I'm shooting for. And went from 1310s to 1410s.

So my shops been slowly accumulating crap, all my work benches were unworkable, couldn't roll the welder around the jeep, blah blah... Spent the day reorganizing, cleaning etc. finally got my first unobstructed view of the chassis. Nice to be able to step back and actually see all the lines.

Before:

After:

A little more motivating knowing I won't be tripping over crap trying to get something accomplished and spend half my time looking for tools.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...