Ax15 Shift Lever Change

I used to be a member here but its been awhile and my username/password dosent work anymore or I'm using the wrong one so I had to start over and create a new account.

Anyway I have a 1988 MJ that I bought new. I finally got around to replacing the BA10/5 with an AX15. Got everything working except the trans shifter. Actually it works but I cannot install the console, Gears 2,4,R hit the back of the console. The shifter I have has the curve towards the rear (where it comes out of the mounting bracket). I have seen some curve towards the front and some that come straight up.

Do some Wranglers come straight up?

Are AX5 and AX15 shift assy the same?

Have read some where the shift lever assy needs a different shift fork in the trans form XJ to TJ?

The trans is from a 97 TJ.

Thanks

Mike

I haven't confirmed it, but I believe the YJ/TJ transmission use a different fork than the XJ/MJ ones. I know the shifters are different.

If you're using an XJ/MJ shifter with a TJ/YJ trans, I can definitely see why you would be having that problem.

here's some pics.

Just trying to get a shifter that will not hit the console. The top one is what I have. The other 3 are from YJ's/Wranglers. These are from ebay. Will the YJ's work in a TJ AX15? Most of them also say that they will work in AX5's. Maybe the same?

If you wanted an even shorter handle,

the YJ t-case handle fit perfectly on my old BA10-5 lower.

If the AX handles fit the same way, it could work there as well.

I liked the short handle,

super short throws, even in the BA.