4.0 Autopsy. Top Piston Ring Groove Worn To 2X Size?? (Pic)

Make sure to take note of which cyl and positioning of where this was in/on the block. Cause machine shop will need to check in that spot for the most wear/max bore size. To determine how much needs taken out to get back to a circle. Many factors could have caused it but the main issue is what i just mentioned.

I'll take a thorough look at #1 and see what it looks like. The engine is still upside down on the stand (need the harmonic balancer puller from Auto Zone) so I won't be able to look at the walls until tonight.

This engine isn't being rebuilt but it is slated to become a coffee table at a friend's house :D . It's just as well. I think the #3 rod bearing spun and the #6 piston must have had a cracked piston skirt...it came out in 2 pieces.

I put the other pics of the autopsy in the project section (see top of pg 2):

http://comancheclub....-of-the-old-87/

I didn't find any corresponding gouges in cyl 1 that match the horrific wear on the top piston ring groove (see album in project section...I added pics). It seems like a section of the piston ring broke, stayed more or less in position, and wore the ring groove out. It's the only explanation I can think of but, as you can see, the engine was a mess!