First Comanche And Post

Hey guys, finally got around to getting my first post up and going on here. I bought my first jeep a while back and I'm finally getting around to messing with it. It seems like a great little truck. Ive owned a 92 Toyota Pickup and recently bought a 2012 Nissan Frontier so I'm a fan of the smaller trucks. So when I got the chance to pick up this 86 Comanche for 500 bucks I figured it couldnt be that bad a purchase. Its an 86 Longbed with the big pile of yuck 2.8L V6 in it, 5spd 4WD. It runs and drives. The interior was dirty and nasty. The body was in pretty good shape, nothing really to complain about. I read about the floor pan issues so I decided with as bad as the interior was Id pull it up and check it out. There are only a couple spots of rust, nothing horrible, at least in my opinion. Ive seen worse on here. All in all I'm pretty excited about getting into this project. So Ill be coming to you guys for help on here plenty. I'm a noob to these jeeps and I'm also a noob to using forums. So bear with fellas. I'm going to try to figure out how to get some photos uploaded... wish me luck

Nice! I really like the blue paint job. I would KILL to know where to get that rear bumper. :drool: Sun roof? Previous owner install? The rust on the floor boards is actually pretty darn good, meaning not much.

4.0, 5spd, 4x4 sounds like a great start. Any idea which 5spd you have?

Overall i really dig how its looks, blue paint, chrome front/grill, black fenders. I like :thumbsup:

+1 on the tint. I've burnt myself through untinted sunroofs.

But seriously, you guys from the South shouldn't be allowed to show pix of your $500 rigs... I'm jealous about the lack of rust. Seriously jealous. That truck looks more solid than mine, and I paid five times that. :ack:

All in all I'd say that's a pretty decent starting point! She'll clean up nicely!

Nice find, I paid $700 for mine initially before the mods started coming along. Sounds like you have the same combo I originally had for the drive train. 2.8L V6/AX5, maybe even the NP207 also if you have the 2H/4H/N/4L setup. You have a lot less floor rot than I started with though.

The 4.0 swap is an idea but you will have some fitment issues as the whole engine bay is different from '87. You might be better off swapping in the 3400 Camaro engine, or even the 3800. There should be a bunch of write-up's on that swap somewhere and some of these other guys should be able to help you with that.

Btw, Comanche has one M for your photobucket. :)

To post photos from PB, click the "share to other services" button in the top right of the PB pic, then click "links", then click on the direct link.

Then back on CC click the picture icon under the smiley face and paste the link in the pop up window. Hit enter and it will show as below.

Yeah thats a good idea on the sunroof tinting. The radio head in it looks like something original. don't know though. Its a Pioneer cassette deck. Hand tuned radio nobs, the works. The radio and speakers actually work pretty damn good, suprised me. I was looking around on here and got some info to identify the rearend in hopes that there was a Dana44 under there but it is not. I believe it was the Dana35. Correct me if I'm wrong fellas but I think the only options for that year is the 35 or 44. Anywho, what is the NP207? Is that one of the bunches of transmission types that come in these things? Beacuse I do have the 2H/4H/N/4L setup for my 4WD select.