97+ Doors?

Is it possible to put some 97+ doors on and use the power windows without too much more wiring? Electrical work is not my favorite and I'd like to avoid as much as possible but I am considering putting some 97+ doors with power windows and locks on my mj and wanted to know if it was a good idea. I know the hinges and strike plates are different too.

The hinges are a non-issue. When you remove the torx bolts, the entire hinge assembly stays on the vehicle. So you are bolting the new doors to the old hinges.

As for the electrical, plenty of people have made it work. But I couldn't, so I went back to manual windows.

I am about to do this myself, already have the doors and stuff. Mine have heated power mirrors as well to add to the confusion, haha.

When I do it I can take pictures and stuff and make it easy for you to follow along (put 12v here, ground this, etc.) and post it back here. Or perhaps make a DIY thread if there isn't one already.

It may be a few weeks, but I'll do that if it'll help you.

Just did mine. As mentioned above the entire striker must be swapped out. It is a totally different design. I actually used the top factory hole on the Comanche and made a new bottom hole. Pretty much the striker is adjusted all the way in. You will just have to play with it. And I did the manual windows myself because there was a lot of wiring involved on the power soor swap. But I sure had a hard time finding manual doors and paid up for a good set when I did.

For the power options you will need to make your own crossover harness or use the crossover harness from the same XJ with the extra wires removed. I made my own since the donor XJ did not have the wiring for power options in 1997 on the base models.

gallery_1_12_47695.jpg

i would just put manual doors when I do the swap. But I'm considering parting out my 98 xj and it has power windows, so the doors are already here.

For the power options you will need to make your own crossover harness or use the crossover harness from the same XJ with the extra wires removed. I made my own since the donor XJ did not have the wiring for power options in 1997 on the base models.

gallery_1_12_47695.jpg

I was hoping it would be something like just wire the power for the windows to an ignition power wire and ground anywhere. Why can't it be that simple? Seems like it should be

I am about to do this myself, already have the doors and stuff. Mine have heated power mirrors as well to add to the confusion, haha.

When I do it I can take pictures and stuff and make it easy for you to follow along (put 12v here, ground this, etc.) and post it back here. Or perhaps make a DIY thread if there isn't one already.

It may be a few weeks, but I'll do that if it'll help you.

That would be great if you took lots of pictures. The easier it looks, the more likely Ill scrap my XJ project and use it for my upgrade on my MJ

i would just put manual doors when I do the swap. But I'm considering parting out my 98 xj and it has power windows, so the doors are already here.

I was hoping it would be something like just wire the power for the windows to an ignition power wire and ground anywhere. Why can't it be that simple? Seems like it should be

The power for the windows runs into the driver switches and then out to the other doors. For the locks, into the passenger and then to the other doors. Basically it allows for less wiring with a stock XJ. It makes a mess when adapted into a MJ.