Fixable?

This is a problem spot on the PASSENGER side of my truck that has been bugging me since i first noticed it. Obviously this is not a good thing, but is it bad enough that will cause my truck to break in two? The drivers side is in Far better condition although it does have a few bubbly places there are no holes to speak of.

Image Not Found

If this can be mended, how would i go about it? I have a good solid piece of 1/4in angle iron, perfect length. when i put in place it covers up the holes with about a 1/2in of overlap.

You guys really don't think its that bad? When i first noticed it, i took a hammer and beat the crap out of it to knock the lose rust away and when i finally saw what i was dealing with I thought all was lost.

I can't really get all the rust out, it completely thru the laminations of the metal I would have to cut, and that is where i am wondering if that piece of angle iron would suffice as a patch.

The only Comanches I've seen broken in two/with a buckled frame it happened right between the cab and the bed, not underneath the cab. That floor/rocker panel looks better than 99% of the Comanches on the road up here in the rust belt.

Make sure you find all of the rot and knock it out and then cover it up with something, I've had good luck with POR-15. That rust isn't the worst and the Jeep won't snap in half if that's what you're worried about. 1/4" is also way overkill on something like that. If it's just a daily driven kind of vehicle, 1/8" is plenty if you want to cover it up.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say that looks pretty bad...and it's only going to get worse. The undercoating is gone and the metal is completely exposed. The only thing you have going for you is that you've got 4 extra holes besides the factory hole to let water/mud escape and not get trapped inside the frame rail. I think your best option is exactly what you described - use large enough angle iron that will overlap onto good metal. Before you weld the angle on, you need to get rid of all of the junk, rotted metal and you need to find good stuff to weld to - that will determine the leg size on the angle iron. When you're done, drill a few large holes in the angle to allow anything that finds its way inside a chance to get out.

Also, when you start cutting away at the bad metal, chances are you're going to open up the frame rail a significant amount that the inside will be exposed - hit it with some rust preventative paint while you have the chance!

:agree: I'm with terrawombat on this. My GTO had the same rust type damage to its frame. You want to fix it correctly and forget about it. Cut the cancer out the best you can, treat with a rust prevented like the guys suggested already and weld good metal back in. In my experience, once you cut open the damage you're more than likely to find more thats unseen. Just take your time and be methodical. If you don't have time to do it right the first time, you won't have time to do it right the second time. Just my two cents.