Blinker Issues

Lost my turn signals! Then, lost my brake lights and flashers. Put in a new fuse, and brake lights and flashers worked again. But, still no blinkers. So, I bought a new blinker switch, changed all the bulbs, and STILL NO BLINKERS!!! Both flashers are brand new. Brake lights work, flashers work, on all, running lights, JUST NO BLINKERS!!! Has anyone else had this problem? What else can I do to get the $%&*# blinkers to work??

Now, the high beams are stuck on! Can't dim them. Any ideas???

Mike

gotta be a bad groud some where, check the sockets for your marker lights and see if theyr shorting out

X2. Definitely check the tails; or it could possibly be the turn markers up front. I would check the wiring for both.

Nice to see you drop by Mike. :cheers: Not to :hijack: but how's the AMX going?

If it is a grounding issues, wouldn't the other functions that operate the same bulbs and filaments also NOT function? Unless, 3 functions have separated grounds, I do see how it could be grounding?

On a side note, the AMX is coming alng slwly, and in about a week here, I will be picking up the Comanche's 343 AMC V8!

[/img]

Here is a pic of fuse panel.

[/img]

Diagram

Mike

If it is a grounding issues, wouldn't the other functions that operate the same bulbs and filaments also NOT function? Unless, 3 functions have separated grounds, I do see how it could be grounding?

On a side note, the AMX is coming alng slwly, and in about a week here, I will be picking up the Comanche's 343 AMC V8!

[/img]

Here is a pic of fuse panel.

[/img]

Diagram

Mike

I lost my brake lights previously. My hazard and turn signals worked, however. I replaced the turn/hazard switch harness and all was well. It runs down the steering column.

Please forgive me if I repeat steps you have performed, but...

Did you check the smaller fuses in the block: Turn/BU 20 amp, and the Haz/Stop 15 amp? Your picture shows a 20 amp in the Haz/Stop.

If your highbeams stay on, then I will go back and check the turn signal switch in the steering column. It may be defective. All of the issues you mentioned run through that switch.

I have found this electrical trouble shooting manual very helpful. http://comancheclub.com/topic/12083-electrical-manual/

There is a connector up near the air cleaner. 10 pins. Very critical to the operation of blinkers and markers. It is referred to in this:

I suggest unplugging EVERY electrical connection in the engine bay you can find, whether engine related or not, and spraying it out with a good electronics cleaner, visually inspecting the terminals making sure they haven’t retracted into the plastic holder, and then plugging it back together. There’s a critical 10-pin connector for the front lighting system located in front of the air cleaner and behind the left headlight assembly. Don’t miss that one. Also be sure that the connectors to the ballast resistor mounted near the air cleaner housing are clean and tight.

ALL of the relays should be removed, the terminals wire-brushed until shiny, and the receptacles sprayed out with contact cleaner. Then plug them back in. I do this on every Renix Jeep I purchase or work on for someone else.

Revised 07/23/2012

Parts list:

2 brand new flasher stat

2 brand new 20amp fuses(checked several times)

brand new turn signal switch with wiring harness

8 brand new light bulbs

Truck status

Turn on headlight switch, all bulbs light. Step on brake pedal, all brake lights work. Pull back on blinker switch, high beams come on. Pull back again, high beams go off. Pull out hazard/flasher knob, all 4 corners blink. Push down for left turn signal, nothing happens. Same for right turn signal. No noise, no flash, no lights.

This is where I am at now. I've downloaded your manual, and will be taking a look. Hoping for the answer.

Mike

There is a connector up near the air cleaner. 10 pins. Very critical to the operation of blinkers and markers. It is referred to in this:

I suggest unplugging EVERY electrical connection in the engine bay you can find, whether engine related or not, and spraying it out with a good electronics cleaner, visually inspecting the terminals making sure they haven’t retracted into the plastic holder, and then plugging it back together. There’s a critical 10-pin connector for the front lighting system located in front of the air cleaner and behind the left headlight assembly. Don’t miss that one. Also be sure that the connectors to the ballast resistor mounted near the air cleaner housing are clean and tight.

ALL of the relays should be removed, the terminals wire-brushed until shiny, and the receptacles sprayed out with contact cleaner. Then plug them back in. I do this on every Renix Jeep I purchase or work on for someone else.

Revised 07/23/2012

Thanks for the tip! As soon as I get off work with daylight left, I will be doing this. Currently, driving truck as is. It is only going to be on the road until the end of the month. Then, hoping to start on this AMC V8 re-power. Once I start that, the truck will most likely get a re-wire. Sounds like that may be what it needs

Mike

Still ain't got blinkers ! but i only need to drive it another week and than this truck is all done. Time to pull it off the road and rip it all apart. going to restore the body and interior and upgrade the whole power train.

Mike