Cleaning Tail Light Lenses

Any body got a fool proof method to clean, polish up plastic tail light lenses without ruining them? I have several that are faded, sun bleached and I would like to clean them. I've used some products on plastic and it scarred it so bad had to throw them away. Don't want to do that with MJ lenses.

Paint them - - - With high gloss clear - - - I've Duplicolor rattle can'd dull dashes before using satin/semi gloss & shot 3 r 4 dozen hoods & trunks using high gloss clear - Way before it was called top coat - - - Good stuff'll stand up to UV - - Should last for years. I've never done this to tail lights but don't know why it would be dif from any other material where the surface refractive index is wack.

No joke on the sandpaper. It was shelbyluvv that suggested it when I met up with him IIRC. Also have heard it from other sources. as far as "products" out there, I have yet to find one that actually works as well as they all claim.

I havent personally tried it on tail lights but I bet its the same concept as using steel wool to polish motorcycle fork tubes. I've been doing that for yrs. It may sound crazy to some but it DOES work.

I think it's the grade of the sandpaper used, IE, 1000fine, not 60coarse. Anyway got a scrap pile full of head lite lenses to practice on before doing a MJ. Think I'll try a Scotch pad. See how they work. Just don't want to screw up a MJ lense.

I think it's the grade of the sandpaper used, IE, 1000fine, not 60coarse. Anyway got a scrap pile full of head lite lenses to practice on before doing a MJ. Think I'll try a Scotch pad. See how they work. Just don't want to screw up a MJ lense.

Your exactly right. If somebody is dumb enough to use 60 course they deserve to have screwed up lenses. your on the right track, trial and error. I'm sure there is a method to it. Hell, maybe even try a wet sanding theory.....

I used 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet)

Testor's Clear Red from the R/C hobby shop (made for plastic), mask off the clear reverse light.

Cleaned out the inside of the light with 409, gun cleaning rod and several soft cloths (Time and patience required).

Clear coated the whole thing. It does require some patience...I get impatient and antsy to finish a job sometimes and screw it up because I can't wait. The whole process took me 2 days to do everything right to let everything dry and allow time between coats.

The orange tint on the reflector sides of the light is not there in "real life". They're nice cherry red...and shiny, new looking. I'll add that they still look new, and this picture is 2+ years old.

Do NOT use sandpaper, and do NOT use clearcoat. There are specific products out there for polishing plastic lenses. That's what you need.

See the write-up in DIY.

The Meguires headlight restoration kit uses sandpaper. Its a very high numbered grit, but its still sandpaper. I've used the kit on tail lights with good results.

I used 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet)

Testor's Clear Red from the R/C hobby shop (made for plastic), mask off the clear reverse light.

Cleaned out the inside of the light with 409, gun cleaning rod and several soft cloths (Time and patience required).

Clear coated the whole thing. It does require some patience...I get impatient and antsy to finish a job sometimes and screw it up because I can't wait. The whole process took me 2 days to do everything right to let everything dry and allow time between coats.

The orange tint on the reflector sides of the light is not there in "real life". They're nice cherry red...and shiny, new looking. I'll add that they still look new, and this picture is 2+ years old.

Paradise's got it right - - - Just get it clean/dry - - - clear coat should be auto uv resistant type