88 Mj Running Very Rough

I just did a valve cover gasket. Didn't touch anything but move the injector harness for access. I go to start it up and it is running very rough barely Ideling and blowing black smoke out the tailpipe. I did notice that the PO wire tied the accelerator cable that had broke. I don't think the cable would make it run rich like this. I'm thinking maybe an injector or 02 sensor? Any ideas? Need to get this running for work Monday.

Thanks fellas,

Gary

If the only thing you moved was the injector harness, go back and check all the electrical connections to the injectors. Our trucks are old and the wiring can become brittle where it's exposed to heat, oil and fuel. I'd re-check all of the vacuum hoses, too.

Black smoke -too much fuel?

ceramic block on driver side inner fender toward the front, its got two wires going to it touch the two wires together if it runs fine when you do that change out the block, I think its called an ignition resistor.

Ballast resistor to be exact, its shapped kinda like The Alamo.

ceramic block on driver side inner fender toward the front, its got two wires going to it touch the two wires together if it runs fine when you do that change out the block, I think its called an ignition resistor.

It's the fuel pump ballast resistor and all it does is reduce the voltage to the fuel pump after the Jeep is started so the pump will be quiet.