Replacing Ball Joints And U-Joints On An 88 Mj, Pointers Anyone?

It's me again......

This time I am replacing my upper and lower ball joints and the u-joints (while I'm in there anyway) at the wheel. I think I will have access to a lift to do the work, YESSSS!!! You are my guardian angels when it comes to repairs, so I look to you for guidance and any cautions or warnings to take for this job.

I read an article on a 92 Cherokee installation of these parts and they mention that you have to get a special ball joint for the lowers. Here is the article quoted:

"For the ball joints you want to be careful when getting them as autozone and advanced auto parts didn’t have their list made right when I got mine, when you get the ball joints the upper ball joint is listed correctly but when you get the lower ball joint make sure that the ball joint does not have the grease fitting in the top of it as it will not work due to the u-joints in the axel shaft sitting right above them you need the lower ball joints that do not have the grease fitting or the hole for one it has to have the sealed case."

Here is the link to the article: http://www.automotiveforums.com/t723666-how_to_replace_ball_joints_axle_u_joints.html

Lemme know if you think this article will hold true for my 88 MJ. Thanks in advance :bowdown:

Marie

The axle shafts clear the grease fitting just fine, but you can't grease them without removing the axle shaft And a 90 degree fitting is too big causing the axle shaft (u joint ears) to hit it. I have a tiny little bolt in mine to plug the hole, when it is time to grease them I turn the wheel so I have access to the bolt between the u joint ears, remove the bolt, screw in a 90 degree fitting, grease it, remove the fitting and replace the bolt. Sounds like a bigger pain than it really is.

Ok, thanks mvusse, so I can go ahead and get the one with the fitting and just replace the fitting with a small bolt, sounds like a plan. I wasn't crazy about not being able to grease them. though I'm sure I will have to replace them when I lift it someday. In all of my back yard mechanical adventures, and there have been many, I have not done this particular job, and it sounds like you have done this once or twice. Is there anything special I should do or not do on this job, or is it all pretty straight forward?

I still have to name my truck, I"m thinking of just calling it "Dr, Chaos" or "black hole", because all my $$ seems to go into my truck.......

This question is a little off topic, but my 88 MJ with no tow package could pull one horse in a one horse trailer, right? It would probably be around 2000lbs.

Depends on how far. I wouldn't tow anything over 1000 pounds for any distance with a D35 rear axle.

And back to the balljoints, Autozone and Advance loan a small ball joint press kit for $100 deposit. This kit does not have all needed adapters. You need to borrow the big $160 dollar kit. Also, bot ball joints go out the bottom, you're going to have a lot of fun if you try to press the bottom one out the top. Don't ask me how I know.

Ok, I'll get the big kit. I'm guessing I would have found out the same way you did :hmm: had it not been for this forum! Precisely why I posted the question here. Thanks for the advice Much appreciated!

Ok, on the towing thing. I'll just make the horse sit in the bed of the truck with my dogs......... just kidding :rotf:

"For the ball joints you want to be careful when getting them as autozone and advanced auto parts didn’t have their list made right when I got mine, when you get the ball joints the upper ball joint is listed correctly but when you get the lower ball joint make sure that the ball joint does not have the grease fitting in the top of it as it will not work due to the u-joints in the axel shaft sitting right above them you need the lower ball joints that do not have the grease fitting or the hole for one it has to have the sealed case."

The article is incorrect. Every XJ/MJ lower ball joint I've seen has a hole for a grease fitting, and they come with both a Zerk and a plug. The routine is to install the ball joints, insert the Zerk fitting and grease the ball joint, then remove the Zerk and install the plug. The plug sits low enough that the u-joints clear it when rotating.

RE: "This question is a little off topic, but my 88 MJ with no tow package could pull one horse in a one horse trailer, right? It would probably be around 2000lbs"

If it were a load of blocks, I wouldn't be as concerned as I am for a horse. Different consequences. How confident are you about the structural load path

between trailer, hitch, bolts, truck frame? How excellent are the brakes and suspension? How thorough is your roadside breakdown preparation/plan?

Unless everything is A+, I wouldn't do it. I still wouldn't recommend it, even a small horse in a small trailer.

The article is incorrect. Every XJ/MJ lower ball joint I've seen has a hole for a grease fitting, and they come with both a Zerk and a plug. The routine is to install the ball joints, insert the Zerk fitting and grease the ball joint, then remove the Zerk and install the plug. The plug sits low enough that the u-joints clear it when rotating.

It's a whole lot easier and less hassle to simply replace the Zerk fittings with low profile flush needle point grease fittings as used in some 5-153X greasable Spicer u-joints on the driveshaft. No removing the Zerks or plugging required during lube time. The flush grease fittings are available from the McMaster-Carr catalog (p/n 10595K14) and a Lincoln #5803 needle adapter is required for your grease gun.

It's a whole lot easier and less hassle to simply replace the Zerk fittings with low profile flush needle point grease fittings as used in some 5-153X greasable Spicer u-joints on the driveshaft. No removing the Zerks or plugging required during lube time. The flush grease fittings are available from the McMaster-Carr catalog (p/n 10595K14) and a Lincoln #5803 needle adapter is required for your grease gun.

Genius.

I never thought about installing a needle fitting on the lower joint. I have a few sets of ball joints to install this winter and will try it out. Thanks for the idea!

Problem with the needle fitting is, you would still have to remove it to temporarily install a 90 degree fitting to be able to grease it without removing the axle shaft. Except it takes a flat screwdriver to remove, which can't fit unless you first remove the axle shaft anyway.

RE: "This question is a little off topic, but my 88 MJ with no tow package could pull one horse in a one horse trailer, right? It would probably be around 2000lbs"

If it were a load of blocks, I wouldn't be as concerned as I am for a horse. Different consequences. How confident are you about the structural load path

between trailer, hitch, bolts, truck frame? How excellent are the brakes and suspension? How thorough is your roadside breakdown preparation/plan?

Unless everything is A+, I wouldn't do it. I still wouldn't recommend it, even a small horse in a small trailer.

No worries, I resigned the idea of pulling Cisoc (the horse) behind my truck, I respect him way too much to let anything happen to him. He's my best friend. Now, some of the other friends I have had in my life I might consider pulling in a trailer...... ;)