hey guys new to the forum i have a 86 mj 2.5 that ive had since june....i think......ive done alot work to the thing to much to explain here..buuuuttt back to topic....the body on this thing is $#!& ive already taken off the fender flares and busted off chunks of rust there. sanded filled and primed tons of rust there...so my idea is come spring-summer i want to put a new coat of paint on....myself....i was thinking of using tractor and implement paint from the local farm store...by recommendation... and borrowing a gun from a friend....like i said I'm new and this is my first post really so just wondering if anyone does there own paint and body work and if they got any tips and suggestions for a noob

Amount of prep is up to you,you can do it up nice with primer or just a simple scuff and shoot.

When you get paint look at the can and figure out what type of paint it is equipment paint is usually alkyd or acrylic make sure you get a compatable hardener,acrylic hardener for acrylic or synthetic hardener for alkyd.if your unsure go to a real paint shop,and they will set you up.

When I say real reducer I mean real automotive type reducer which you can also get at a professional paint shop. Some equipment paint says to reduce it with thinner or mineral spirits,if you do it will take forever to dry and the final results won't be as nice.

I painted mine this weekend. I don't like bodywork and didn't get all the dings out but it's one color now, minus the rust spots that were appearing under the factory finish. I used Dupont Nason single stage urethane from Orielly's auto parts. Didn't take but 2 quarts. I didn't paint the bed because I plan on Monstalining it. You'll have a better choice of colors including the the factory color, which I liked on my truck. It cost me about $150. That was the paint, reducer, activator, I covered the truck in epoxy primer which was about $80 for a gallon. I thought about Tractor Supply paint or something cheap, but decided I liked the factory color. Just thought I'd throw out another option.

I painted mine this weekend. I don't like bodywork and didn't get all the dings out but it's one color now, minus the rust spots that were appearing under the factory finish. I used Dupont Nason single stage urethane from Orielly's auto parts. Didn't take but 2 quarts. I didn't paint the bed because I plan on Monstalining it. You'll have a better choice of colors including the the factory color, which I liked on my truck. It cost me about $150. That was the paint, reducer, activator, I covered the truck in epoxy primer which was about $80 for a gallon. I thought about Tractor Supply paint or something cheap, but decided I liked the factory color. Just thought I'd throw out another option.

ya with tractor paint there isnt a whole lot of options...the factory paint is nautical blue or something and i want to keep it blue but the only blue in tractor paint is ford blue and its realy light...I'm gonna have to check out the dupont paint....only two quarts for the whole thing...how many coats did u do? I'm not gonna paint the bed either I'm gonna do a bed liner.

At least 3 and more where the coverage didn't suit me. It calls for 2 and a 3rd dusting coat. Yeah, I had paint left over and even did the door jams. I AM NOT a body and paint man, but thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

edit

I found my reciepts-65.98 paint, 30.99 1/2 pt activater, 35 for reducer. It mixes 8-1-2. I had to buy a gallon of Fast reducer, they said they don't sell it in a quart, the quart of medium I bought last week was 9 something and would have been enough I believe. The weather turned on me, so I exchanged it for the Fast, good for 50 to 65 degrees.

At least 3 and more where the coverage didn't suit me. It calls for 2 and a 3rd dusting coat. Yeah, I had paint left over and even did the door jams. I AM NOT a body and paint man, but thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

edit

I found my reciepts-65.98 paint, 30.99 activater, 35 for reducer. I had to buy a gallon of Fast reducer, they said they don't sell it in a quart, the quart of medium I bought last week was 9 something and would have been enough I believe. The weather turned on me, so I exchanged it for the Fast, good for 50 to 65 degrees.

i think I'm gonna have to check that out sounds like it would work a little better then the tractor paint lol...i got awhile to think about it tho I'm not gonna do it till spring

Great lead on a gun also:http://www.ebay.com/itm/200817668787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This gun worked BEAUTIFULLY, stay away from Harbor Frieght, my HB gun went in the garbage.

Lets try again:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-1-4-HVLP-SPRAY-GUN-Auto-Paint-Base-Clear-Primer-/200817668787?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2599334958979992233%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200817668787%26

Can't post a link, any way it's a gun from TCP Global, 39.95.

Great lead on a gun also:http://www.ebay.com/itm/200817668787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This gun worked BEAUTIFULLY, stay away from Harbor Frieght, my HB gun went in the garbage.

Lets try again:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-1-4-HVLP-SPRAY-GUN-Auto-Paint-Base-Clear-Primer-/200817668787?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2599334958979992233%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200817668787%26

Can't post a link, any way it's a gun from TCP Global, 39.95.

right on! i was just gonna borrow a gun from a friend but mabey i should just buy one so i can use it whenever lol