Guess who now *has* 4.88s..... :-)

Pete M

Well, go on. Guess! :D :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::hate banana:

I have to get off my kester and sell some of the stuff collecting in the garage so I can afford the initial investment, but I found a guy selling his Ford axles with 4.88s and a welded rear. I could never justify the expense of outright upgrading my 88 MJ's Ford axles (4.10s), but I've rationalized this purchase because this way I can eventually sell my current axles to recoup the costs. The bummer is that I always wanted even deeper gears, so this is a bit of a compromise. I'll get over it... somehow. :D

Well, technically I can't go "back" since I've never had an open front in the 88, but I don't intend to use the mini-spool anymore either. I've got a lunchbox locker for it. That way I should be able to shift into 2wd for a sharp curve on the trail and the locker will disengage and allow me to steer and turn easily. :D I figure I won't mind the welded rear since the truck doesn't really see pavement anymore and I tow it around on junkyard tires.

I've had 4.88's with 33's on my XJ, and love em.

on and off road.

Detroit rear, ARB air front.

I was doing about 3000 rpm to get to 65 mph

but, around town and off road is excellent.

Jeep on Pete!

btw, when are we going to the Badlands again?

...BOB

Yeah, but I don't have the means to add hydro cheaply. Plus it wouldn't fix the problem with the truck not always turning even when the wheels are pointed in the right direction.

Bob, I can't go to the badlands until I have at least one functional MJ. I doubt dad would let me thrash on the Libby (not just yet at least, it's still under warranty). :D

10 bazillion dollars. :D I wouldn't start saving your pennies just yet. Heck, I don't even have my hands on the 4.88s yet. And if this project timeline goes like my other ones, I might have the axles swapped in by like 2012. :(

All strapped down and ready to go. :clapping: My friend Mike has to work tomorrow so it's just me and my dog, hitting the open road in search of adventure, or 4.88 axles, either one is good. :D I had a brilliant idea the other day and offered my trailer to anyone needing something large to be hauled along my route north. I got a couple almosts and then got an email from a guy wanting a CJ-8 body brought up. I was happy to oblige and he's paying me 150 to do it (his offer, not mine). jamminz.gif By this time tomorrow (barring any nasty weather) I should be examining my potential upgrades. I sure hope they're in decent condition, but either way I'm getting paid more than I'll be spending in diesel so it's win-a-little or win-a-lot. I also expect to get 25 maybe 26 mpg. :D The Libby gave us up to 27 on the return trip from Florida (with the trailer), but that's in warmer weather with a warm-weather diesel mix and I've got a bit more drag this time.

Lol, glad to see you got some business there Pete. :razz:

Just watch it, I guess there is alot of snow up that way. Talked to my parents just tonight in Reed City and they said it was coming down

:agree: Weather report says it should lighten up by the time I get moving tomorrow afternoon. The Libby has awd so I'm more worried about traffic jams due to other drivers. We'll see how it goes. Already loaded up the tools, supplies and grabbed some ComancheClub magnets in case I see any MJs. :D

Yup. I bought 'em. The front axle needs some freshening up, but getting an extra $150 for draggin' up that CJ8 carcass made it more worth while. :D Dang it was cold up there. 3* and a couple feet of snow too. At one point I almost hit a snowmobiler that shot across the iced-over dirt road in front of me. Idiots. :nuts:

I spent yesterday reorganizing the garage so I could fit in the axle rack I built (everyone has one of those, yes? :D) and get all my axles up off the floor. (Except for the 35, that stays on the floor.) As I gathered all my spare parts together in one spot I started to realize that I probably need to sell some stuff off eventually. But then I haven't been able to drive the 90 with it's new drivetrain yet, so I don't know what I might need. I've got a spare 231, 242, 30, 35, 4.10 9" center section, 8.8 (technically already sold) and now another 44 and 9" (center section is separate from the housing in the pic).

And yes that's a 4.0L in the background there. Got a spare one of those too. :D

One is a rust-free 2wd MJ set from Florida, another is a rust-free Explorer set, and then some leftover individual leafs from the 90. The 4 packs will be combined together this spring when I make new packs for the 88 (who's current packs were fashioned from 4 extra-rusty MJ packs, each of which had at least one broken leaf in it).