Dual Fuel Tanks?

Is it possible to run dual fuel tanks? Has anyone done it, and which tanks did you use? YJ, second Comanche tank, ???? What all is needed?

You want to use the search function. This has been discussed several times and I seem to recall, has been done once or twice (at least). I have toyed with it off and on over the last 5 years. The question I keep going back to is why would I do it? My 91 long bed has a 23.5 gal tank and I can milk 23 mpg out of it so that gives me a highway range of 500 plus miles. (My Passat diesel has a highway range of more than 1000 miles - WAY more range than my bladder).

Simplest place to put a second tank is in the bed. Use a tool box/transfer tank combination. No relocation of the spare tire required. Next option is to find another place for your spare tire and locate a second tank where the spare used to reside. Easier on a short bed than a long bed - because of the big X brace under the long bed. But I could add a 20 gal or so second tank even to my long bed.

Other option to look at is a custom built tank - think about going over the drive shaft. Google "long ranger tanks" in Australia for some illustrations.

Then come back and tell me "WHY".

• 2 months later...

For the sake of not starting another redundant thread...

I'm considering a dual tank setup as well.

Why?

I have a shortbed for one, and I drive an hour to work everyday.

Would make extreme roadtrip-wheel-returnhometrip action possible!

I'm considering going to aftermarket fuel cells ('cept the filler never seems to be in a good spot...) and I really want to retain the ONE factory located fill point.

Plus I'm wanting to design a "switch-less" system that draws from only one tank.

So yea there's my $0.02 for some discussion fodder.

Five or six years ago when I was still pumping gas, a guy was showing me the big slip tank he welded up and put in the bed of his Duramax. I think he did something up north, so in the winter he pretty much never shut it off. It had me totally confused because he'd shaved the fuel door...

He kept the stock tank, and hooked up the sending unit to run a pump that moved the fuel from the slip into the stock tank when it's level hit around half, and put another sending unit into the slip to use the factory gauge.

The filler was right on top, a big four inch steel cap threaded onto a short section of pipe.

He also had a heating coil of some kind that he used to to keep the fuel from gelling, but I question the wisdom.

I doubt you'd need or want anything that big (took around 800L, and it wasn't empty when I started) but that's the way I'd do it, mount it in the bed, and put the gas right into the tank itself.

Working at the only gas station in around 20 miles, I've seen quite a few custom builds that were simply a pain in the @$$ to fill, but this one could take our high-pressure diesel pump at full tilt... if there was any kind of filler neck, the fuel would get choked up and you'd end up covered in diesel, unless you almost trickled the fuel in. The truckers and farmers loved it, but the doctor's wife with her Merc GL? Not so much...