Help finding a new flywheel

I have a 86 jeep Comanche with the 2.5l and the ax15? It's the five speed manual and I can't seam to find the flywheel anywhere online or in local stores can anyone help maybe another year model or something can work on it ? Thank you for your help guys :bowdown:

Your trans will be the AX-5, not AX-15.

Any Jeep 86-90 2.5 manual flywheel will work.

I can't seem to find anything new online, you may need to junkyard this part or get one from a forum member.

Just make sure you don't get sucked into any of the eBayesque ads that promote something like an 87-02 Jeep 2.5 Flywheel. You MUST get one from an 86-90.

Is the 86 any different than the 87? cause rockauto has the 1987 one for 95 bucks.

:)

Where is it? All I see listed is the ring gear... which makes no sense for a manual.

Ring gear is a part inside a differential. Your MJ has one if it's 2wd, two if it's 4wd regardless of transmission.

The '86 and '87 should be the same flywheel. They do list it for the '87:

1987 JEEP COMANCHE 2.5L 150cid L4 OHV : Transmission-Manual : Flywheel Wiki Price

ACDELCO Part # 388088 More Information About this Part {#19181996}

[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] FLYWHEEL,ENG ; SOLID FLYWHEEL

Part Image

* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 5 business days

The part number for the flywheel ring gear is the same for 1986 and 1987, so it's probably a good guess that the flywheel is also the same.

no they actually do sell the ring gear from the flywheel mvusse.

You sweat it off with a torch and replace it, when your flywheel teeth are damaged.

Thats what hes talking about. :)

Interesting. I always thought the flywheels were one solid piece.... I guess that's what I get for never really seeing a new one.

no they actually do sell the ring gear from the flywheel mvusse.

You sweat it off with a torch and replace it, when your flywheel teeth are damaged.

I've just used hammer and chisel to remove the old one. Deep freezed the flywheel over night and heated the ring to install.

Ok so I need the whole flywheel because the cluch went out and Ruined the Surface on the flywheel even though all the Teeth are fine, so does the 1987 2.5L ax-5 manual flywheel on rockauto like "mountainman"said work for my 1986 2.5L ax-5 manual flywheel ????? Cause it's the closes I've found yet thank you guys :wrench:

Check with auto parts stores like Napa. Most will have a lathe to turn rotors and drums, some have one large enough to also be able to do flywheels.

When I got my F100 the clutch wasn't grabbing real well. When replacing it I noticed the flywheel was blue :eek: Cost me $15 to have it resurfaced.

I'm gonna go with, that was factory BS. Cause not a clutch made today is set up to deal with a convex face. That would mean all the contact would be in the center of the pad which drives the car, until that area wears down more than the rest and you have full contact.

talk about a chattery SOB until it had 5k miles on it, not to mention nearly NO torque holding capacity when new.. it would slip like crazy with such a small contact area.

Most disks and PP's are flat... so id have the flywheel ground on the rock table like every other flywheel and it will work just like new.

So why can't a person just have his flywheel machined flat and use a regular clutch disk? What is so sacred about a cupped, domed surface? :dunno:

nothing.. its bull-$#!& just like in that debated topic. Nobody has an actual answer. lol.

As a guy who does clutches for a living... (One in the shop 10 feet from me being done now) i can tell you i have handled probably 300 flywheels in the past 20 years... not ONE has been "convex".

Just like the factory also says you CAN NOT machine dual mass wheels.... yet i have them done all the time by a pro who has a clue.

Thats why they also contradict themselves and give you a go-no go spec for play. lol.

The 2.5L flywheel can be resurfaced.

As to the advice not to resurface a 4.0L flywheel being BS, aside from the fact that every single person I know of who has done it has experienced problems there's the basic fact that the FSM tells us specifically not to do it.

You can do as you wish, but when other people ask for advice I am not going to advise them to do something the factory plainly says not to do, AND which I know has caused problems for other people.

I drive my 4.0 every day and it has its original flywheel and the new clutch was put in last year, flywheel was rock surfaced at driveline service las vegas. It drives just fine.

So i agree that the factory can be right in many cases.. but on this one I'm on the fence until i put in a new clutch on one of these 4.0's and have an issue myself.

I would almost bet money that theres not a convex flywheel left in existence.

As long as these vehicles have been around... every one of them on the road has likely had a new clutch or 2 put in. (I'm sure theres some 25k mile 4.0 out there to smack me in the face :yes:)