Kick-Panel Speaker Mount?

This is more of a "What are these here for?" question than anything. Are these cutouts in the kick-panel purely for aesthetic value? Or do they have some sort of hidden purpose? I always thought that if you had a pickup with the speaker delete door panels (MJ specifically, not sure about the XJ) that some sort of speakers would be put here. A buddy of mine had an old 90s Geo Tracker and this is pretty much where his speakers were mounted by the factory.

Then again, if you had the delete door panels, I'm assuming the original buyer had no interest in a radio either, so that got a delete panel as well... :dunno:

My Blue 88 has small speakers mounted in those locations. ;)

Hmmm.... Is there some sort of bracket they attach to up in there, like with the B-Pillar speakers? I'd go out and check for myself, but this darn Tropical Storm isn't letting up on the rain. :mad:

I'll have to look more into this. I'd be pretty happy if I can get rid of the honkin' huge door speakers altogether for some hidden ones in the B-Pillars and in that nook. :yes:

XJs with the Jenson Accusound system had 1.5" speakers (tweeters) in those locations. The mounts are part of the speakers (actually rivetted to the speakers) and are slighy different for each side. '88-'90 MJs (probably more) do not have wiring for these, they need to be spliced in. Here are a couple pictures.

Yup, my 87 laredo XJ came with the Jensen sound system and had those same tweeters mounted there. Getting the factory brackets and adapting them to fit some nice tweeters would be a good setup. Not really an easy way to mount something there without the brackets.