Project Chaos

Alrighty! So, i have finaly decided to take the leap and do somthing with my Mj! :D Most of you won't like this but its gonna be slammed strait to the ground. I started today by tearing things apart to get a feel of the damage and repair work i need to do.

1000097ur1.jpg

pic after taking off the fenders and grill assembly.

1000098sr2.jpg

The rust is terrible on my truck. I'm replacing the fenders and doors.

1000099bl9.jpg

1000100uh4.jpg

1000101db8.jpg

as you can see, some pretty bad rust damage.

1000107md1.jpg

floor boards are gonna be bad :(

Well, i have more to post but I'm tired. ill update later today.

• 3 weeks later...

not sure yet. which do you think would be the best? I have been having mixed thoughts about this. I'm not sure how i want to drop it. do i wanna do a suspension drop? will that get me enough drop that i want? would it be bad to get rid of the suspension completely? lol. gimme some feed back. how should i drop this beast?

Edit: oh yeah, i havnt taken pics yet. but the floor is WAY worse then it looks in those.

oh yeah, will leaf springs from anything else fit on the stock mounts? if so i could get some from beltech or somthing. Although i kinda wanna go with bags but there a little out of my budget :P

Next question. what to do with the front? how should i drop that? is it safe to cut the springs? what are the pros/cons? or can i use lowering springs from another application?

Pretty certain that he meant you use the ranger front coils in place of your stock coils to lower the front, but you need to modify the bump stops.

oh I'm sorry, i was confused. i was talking about using ranger leaf springs. but its good to know that the coils will work with it. so, houw about ranger leaf springs? will they work ot lower the back or should i build a pack using the mj main leaf and jsut using some softer leafs?

EDIT: jsut saw petes post. won't blocks hurt the stability? it seems like they wouldnt lower it much either.

oh I'm sorry, i was confused. i was talking about using ranger leaf springs. but its good to know that the coils will work with it. so, houw about ranger leaf springs? will they work ot lower the back or should i build a pack using the mj main leaf and jsut using some softer leafs?

EDIT: jsut saw petes post. won't blocks hurt the stability? it seems like they wouldnt lower it much either.

Blocks will lower the vehicle as much as the height of the block. A 2-inch block will lower your truck 2-inches. They can induce axle wrap, but I don't know about stability.

For leaf springs, I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on using full-size Cherokee springs. They have less arch than MJ springs with the same dimensions, and I'd assume they are stiffer, since they carry more weight around than an MJ does (but also MJ springs are designed to handle a loaded truck bed).

For leaf springs, I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on using full-size Cherokee springs. They have less arch than MJ springs with the same dimensions, and I'd assume they are stiffer, since they carry more weight around than an MJ does (but also MJ springs are designed to handle a loaded truck bed).

Only way to know for sure is to try. :D

I've got a Nissan Hardbody with a static drop. 3" blocks in the back and cranked tortions up front. Blocks are a decent way to lower. I havn't experienced any axle wrap. If you go with a 4" block or higher (I wouldn't go higher) get an angled block to correct the pinion angle. There are many people in the mini truck scene that put in 4" blocks and pull a leaf, plus relocate the front hanger. I have seen static droped nissans that needed a step notch in the rear.

Remember you are limited in the front by oil pan to axle clearance, so I would drop the front first and go from there

hmm, ok this is kinda a newbie question. but explain a static drop please :P i geuss my only problem right now is how many inches to actualy drop it. like for instance. how much will a 4" block actualy lower the back end of the truck?

i should have mentioned this earlier but I'm pretty new to the lowered truck "scene" :P but, its all very interesting to me. so I'm willing to learn all i can.

hmm, ok this is kinda a newbie question. but explain a static drop please :P i geuss my only problem right now is how many inches to actualy drop it. like for instance. how much will a 4" block actualy lower the back end of the truck?

i should have mentioned this earlier but I'm pretty new to the lowered truck "scene" :P but, its all very interesting to me. so I'm willing to learn all i can.

A static drop, I believe, is just a drop that isn't adjustable, so not bags.

A 4" block will lower it 4".

I'd be a little concerned with dropping the front much, as mentioned with oil pan clearance.

Small point: You may pick up some positive camber, (top of the wheels lean outward) as the body drops and the control arms rotate the axle. Offset (adjustable) upper ball joints are a little pricey but will correct this.