alternative powerplants

well since my second "built" 2.8 took a dump, i need a new engine. but i want to keep my 5 speed setup. is there a small v8 that can be dropped right in and mated to a ax15? or maybe other powerplants. I'm all ears

well since my second "built" 2.8 took a dump, i need a new engine. but i want to keep my 5 speed setup. is there a small v8 that can be dropped right in and mated to a ax15? or maybe other powerplants. I'm all ears

You don't have an AX-15, you have an AX-5 -- you know that, right?

All AMC engines 1970 and newer will accept the Jeep 4.0L bell housing and AX-15 transmission. They are all the same basic block, and a friend bolted one behind a 390 in a street rod, so I know it works.

• 3 weeks later...

i know i have an ax5 but i knew that no matter what motor i get if its bigger i need an ax15. so would a jeep 258 bolt up to a ax15?

Yes. I have a 290 and AX-15 (don't have the correct flywheel but know where they are available new. Just need to have it balanced to match the motor by Perpetual Balance in Mukilteo.) I also have the '89 MJ I was going to build (it's 4.0L and 2wd. Motor is missing parts because PO installed a '93 HO with HO flexplate and it only backfired)