Need help/advice re: speedo cable

The speedo on the 87 4.0 AX15 was not working, so I finally pulled the gauge cluster to investigate. The plastic cable end was broken off from the metal crimp and I see no way to repair the break. I believe this plastic end simply grabs onto the metal port at the back of the cluster.

Image Not Found

My 86 parts truck 2.5 AX5 has a cable with a metal end but attaches via a pressure type spring clip. The tranny end had been disconnected by PO and has no crimped end to attach to trans.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Is there a possibility of using the good from the 86 to fix the bad from the 87 or should I just but a new cable from NAPA ? Which brings up one more concern. The pics of speedo cable from NAPA and Rockauto show both ends of the cables with knurled metal attachments. The cluster port pieces are smooth and slightly bell shaped. Has anyone used these new cables with success?

When I broke mine I tried every parts place around: napa, advance, o'reilly, auto zone. They all tried tog ive me a screw on type telling me it was the correct one. Eventually had to find one from the Jy. Long story short you probably won't be able to find a new one.

Thanks for the help guys! I actually have an idea how to repair the broken plastic piece but if this doesn't work I will go with one of the aforementioned sources. Interestingly, the cable in the 87 is 70" and the 86's is 80". I know the 86 is LWB but how does that affect the distance to the tranny?

• 2 weeks later...
When I broke mine I tried every parts place around: napa, advance, o'reilly, auto zone. They all tried tog ive me a screw on type telling me it was the correct one. Eventually had to find one from the Jy. Long story short you probably won't be able to find a new one.

Thats odd...I got a new speedo cable from NAPA for my 4wd conversion and it was the type you pull back and hook up, and it was around 95 inches long but it works okay,