Tranny swap done. FIXED AND ROLLING

OK, the AW4 tranny is in, buttoned up, lines, cooler, full of fluid, engine starts & runs fine.

I have not hooked up the TCU yet, but have it figured out and ready to install and wire up. I have also yet to hook up the new brake pedal and that wiring.

So, when I start it, and put it into gear it "sounds" like it's going into gear but it won't move, or even try to move. Any suggestions??

So, when I start it, and put it into gear it "sounds" like it's going into gear but it won't move, or even try to move. Any suggestions??

If I read that article Bo linked to correctly, the transmission goes into 3rd gear when put in drive if the TCU is not present/plugged in. Did you put it in drive or did you try the other forward gears as well?

I hope you didn't do what I once did. I replaced a flex plate on an '88 XJ. Got everything buttoned up, fired up the engine and thought "WOW! This old beast feels a lot peppier than mine!" Put in gear, and nothing happened.

I have a friend who had come over to help me finish putting it all back together. So I asked him if he had bolted the torque converter to the flex plate. "No, I thought you did that."

Oops. :oops:

I hope you didn't do what I once did. I replaced a flex plate on an '88 XJ. Got everything buttoned up, fired up the engine and thought "WOW! This old beast feels a lot peppier than mine!" Put in gear, and nothing happened.

I have a friend who had come over to help me finish putting it all back together. So I asked him if he had bolted the torque converter to the flex plate. "No, I thought you did that."

Oops. :oops:

It ran a lot better when the engine was connected to the transmission ...

Was the converter ever off the trans?

Yes, it is a new converter. I verified it being seated ala the FSM. New seal, made sure it turned I stood the tranny on it's butt and turned - clunk - turned - clunk - turned ka- chunk.

When I stabbed the tranny it slid right on, finger tightened the bolts almost all the way on. The flex plate bolts lined right up and were in just the right spot.

I sure as @$%# do not want to remove it and check...but :(

I sure as @$%# do not want to remove it and check...but :(

You don't have to remove the tranny to check -- or to insert the bolts if you left them out. Just pop off the inspection cover at the bottom. IIRC, you can get a wrench in there to tighten up the bolts if necessary. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to pull the tranny back to fix my boo-boo.

Uh, did you fill the converter before you put it on?

NO. :grrrr:

Somehow I thought that the trans oil pump filled it as it was turning. :dunce: I have run my XJ dry before...as in I spewed tranny fluid for about 2 miles down a dirt road and it took 8 + qts to re-fill it.

Sooooo,...I filled the new dry trans with 8 qts. of Dex, checked it again, read just under full, running, in Park

the dipstick reads normal.

So, how screwed am I? Does this mean I have to pull the tranny again??

Uh, did you fill the converter before you put it on?

NO. :grrrr:

Somehow I thought that the trans oil pump filled it as it was turning. :dunce: I have run my XJ dry before...as in I spewed tranny fluid for about 2 miles down a dirt road and it took 8 + qts to re-fill it.

Sooooo,...I filled the new dry trans with 8 qts. of Dex, checked it again, read just under full, running, in Park

the dipstick reads normal.

So, how screwed am I? Does this mean I have to pull the tranny again??

It's a good idea to pour a quart in the TC first but not mandatory; it should fill up when started up and in PARK. If the pump is working. Do you have a tranny cooler installed? Pull the return hose from it (or disconnect the return line from the radiator) and start it up and see if it's pumping fluid.

I do have a tranny cooler on it. After I ran it at idle for about ten minutes the cooler was warm. I will pull a hose to see if it's circulating. Thank you.

I have to hook the brake pedal up so I can actually start it and run it. I'd hate for it to catch and not have a brake. Then I'd have a new double door in my barn.

Jack stands.

Can't go anywhere if the wheels are off the ground.

Doh!! I knew I forgot something

True. Great idea, the rear end is already up, but not turning yet. I'm getting a good stream of Dex when starting. The cooler is full top to bottom. Thanks

3 days off ahead.

I went for a nice ride today in my 1988 MJ with a brand new (to me) 1994 AW4 Transmission.

My "no go" issue was this:

I thought I totally screwed up by not putting fluid into the new torque converter. As it turned out it did fill with the engine running. Since I had to modify the T-case linkage and I had it out and the t-case was in Neutral...that's right, I had the t-case in Neutral.So laying under the truck I had a epiphany...I crawled out, walked over to the XJ, put the t-case in Neutral, fired it up and put in drive. Whaddya know, it wouldn't roll either. So I went back to the MJ put the t-case in 2H, put the tranny in Drive and boom, rear wheels spinning (off the ground).

comanche.gif

All I still have to do is the TCU and some piddlin' brake light wiring but IT'S ALIVE!!! Runs nicely as I shift thru the gears manually.

Thank you to all the advisers that have chimed in on my threads over the last 2 months of putting this together. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:jump: