1984 jeep cherokee leaks coolant

how hard would it be to replace a freeze plug. Also what do you mean is it leaking from the inside or outside of the bellhousing

Do you know what freeze plugs are? The question was asked because there is a freeze plug at the back of the block, inside the bellhousing. To replace it, at the lest you have to remove the transmission and flexplate, and if that doesn't leave enough room to work you may have to pull the engine out of the vehicle to access the freze plug.

If the leak is outside of the bellhousing, it may be a blown head gasket. From your description, though, it sounds more like a freeze plug.

I'm probably just gonna pull the motor it has 274000 miles on it I'm sure i could get another at the junkyard for cheap or do yall thin i should replace the freeze plugs or swap to the 3.4l. also i have a 4.0 I'm not using will that fit?

Converting to a 4.0L in an '86 can be done, but it's a LOT of work. IMHO swapping in a 3.4L V6 is the best way to go. The basic block is the same, so it becomes essentially a bolt-in conversion and you get a much better engine with a bit more power than the 2.8L, and a lot more reliability.

This is not your Jeep?

Don't even bother. Tell whoever owns it to either fix it himself or take it to a shop. If one freeze plug is bad, most likely the others are ready to fail. They ALL need to be replaced, and the best way to do that (as well as to access the one that's leaking) is to pull the engine. Candidly, that's more work than a high-mileage 2.8L is worth.

By the way, you do realize that most people work on Wednesdays, don't you? IMHO it's kind of rude to post looking for help at 1:45 p.m. on a workday afternoon and bump your own post two hours later, when people are working and probably not just waiting at their computers to answer questions on the Comanche Club Forum.

A Chiltons or Haynes manual should give you the step-by-step on yanking the trans. :thumbsup: I don't know of a writeup online for the 2.8/auto.

I agree with Eagle that this is more or less a bandaid on an old engine. If one plug goes, the others are likely well on their way. if it was my rig, I'd yank the engine for a low mileage 3.1/3.4. Same level of work, but it should give many years of trouble-free service afterwords. :thumbsup: