1988 Jeep Comanche Aka The Penny Sniffer ,pic Heavy

more to mention, not documented was the install of the new water pump, high flow thermostat, new thermostat housing, new valve cove gasket, new front u joints, new front slip yolk, new vacuum harness, new air filter, coolant flush.

• 3 weeks later...

So Next I noticed the steering wheel felt like it was about to fall off, shaking around and very loose, did some research and noticed it is a common problem with these year model jeeps. I had to tear everything apart and tighten up four screws that had backed out around the ball joint? of the tilt wheel assembly. This took some time and a few time of putting it back together and taking it back apart to get right. Finally got it all back together and everything works great but now a month or so after the horn is intermittent and I have the key get suck in the on position twice randomly. Haven't had time to check it out yet though.

This little guy just fell out when I was pulling everything apart. I looked it up to be the key buzzer... Well since it never worked to begin with I "forgot" to put it back in after I almost blew my brains out messing with it for a hour....

These are all the pictures I have, I forgot to take some of the actual Business area where the problem was. But all I can say is I don't want to have to do this again.....

• 1 month later...

so after sitting on the clearance problem for about a week and talking to a few different people, I was told that its very close but it should be enough room as long my motor mounts are solid. Which i just replaced with the iron man 4x4 mounts and they are VERY solid. But I was still rubbing the fan on the fan shroud also because the motor mounts lifted the engine 1/4 inch up.

However I just wanted to be better safe than sorry. so my solution to this was to drill new holes and modify the radiator support bracket to move the whole radiator/fan shroud Assembly back about a inch.

This is how I did it. First cut out the clearance on the bracket in order to push the radiator up under it. then I made the brackets

And here is the radiator support trimmed, painted, and the brackets installed on it.

so after all that it still gets kinda warm, so I'm going to install the electric fan I have in addition to keeping the stock mechanical. Also I'm going to install the datsun louvers soon.

I was worried that the head gasket might be gone after it was still getting a tad bit warm but ran a pressure test and it all checked out good! so as far as it seems I'm just not getting enough air flow through the grill because the winch,lights,and bumper is restricting it to much.

Next to tackle, STEERING!!!!!!!!! AHHHH so much play in the wheel.

and here comes the flow of parts :)

steering stabilizer and bracket

Image Not Found

99 Durango Steering gear box

Image Not Found

JCR inner steering box brace

Serious Off Road Under the knuckle 1-Ton steering!!!!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for a up date. I got these Datsun 280z hood vents and I had never installed them so go figured it was time.

First I made a cardboard template

The I started cutting and the next thing I knew I had 2 big holes in the hood!!!

I also positioned them so that the left vent opening was not directly over the distributor cap.

Then I used e6000 epoxy to glue them on. I don't know how we'll it will hold up but we will see.

Then it was time to dry. LOL

And here is the final result.

And some under hood shots.

• 1 month later...

Went to the junk yard last week and scored a 97 explorer 31 spline 8.8 with disk brakes and 4.10 gears for 200$ Wahoo. Now I can get rid of the TURDYFIVE!!!

The load and unload was intresting to say the least.....