1989 Jeep MJ (The Stocker DD)

Well. I'm 23, I graduate in December when I'll be going on a year long mission trip and have had 15 cars so far. Point being! It had to go!

Well. I always have 2 cars, so I got rid of my toyota and got a Acura Integra

Then I needed a 4x4. So I called a friend who deals Jeeps here and sold me this for $1,250

Pretty much done with wheeling, Few of my friends had those new JK Rubicons, once you wheel with those, you realize how much you'd need to throw in your own jeep to get it to where those things are. Anyway, my best friend is now out of the country who had a nice JK, so I just want something to take camping/Deal with snow/Second car/something to move things around with.

Friends playing a 'prank' on my 'new' truck.

214k. 4.0 with a 5 speed. Needed a few little things (still does) but hasn't skipped a beat and i've put on about 300 miles. I took it to get rear brakes done, and started to sand down for paint.

Went the cheapest way I could (beater truck for me, just wanted it to at least match). Macco for the win!

Already painted the front bumper black, and putting the J-E-E-P back on tomorrow hopefully.

All in total, including registration, i'm into the truck right at $2,020, Which isn't bad considering What I now have.

Few questions:
The stereo Turns on and off with the Lights on the dash....?
How the Crap do you replace the interior lights!?

Comments? Suggestions?

J

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey..... Look who made it over here to Comanche Club!

That truck spent the better part of 5 years in the back lot of a tow yard and was headed for the scrapper.

Glad you're enjoying it and its back on the road. :thumbsup:

Good looking MJ to start with, definitely a lot nicer looking than mine used to be :D

Here's a link to replacing the interior lights, there's either the cheap-o (but good looking if you have the interior for it) Optronics kit you can get; or the "Pop 'em in and go" Euramatec set (later in the thread) that are basically a match for the original ones that came with the truck.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3490&hilit=interior+lights+euramatec

Pretty sure your radio wiring is in need of attention; that's usually the signs of something touching what it's not supposed to back there. :cheers: :thumbsup:

Hey..... Look who made it over here to Comanche Club!

That truck spent the better part of 5 years in the back lot of a tow yard and was headed for the scrapper.

Glad you're enjoying it and its back on the road. :thumbsup:

Now you say that, BUT, the dumb stickers on it are 2009, 2010, and 2011. So I would think they had to be used right?

Alright. SO wired up the fog lights and replaced a bulb. Could have SWORN they were wired before I got it, but no matter, pulled out all the old and put in new.

Properly mounted the deck, still haven't figured out the deck wiring, but no matter, Don't care that much.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like your deck is getting it's power from the dash light wire instead of the normal switched power wire which is red in my 86.

Ah yes. I did fix that actually. And yes, they were running to the dash which was so dumb. Just switched the wires and good to go!

Now the only thing is that my Dash lights don't work! (This happened before I switched the wires) Ah the joys of old trucks.

Did some more work on it today. Interior needed some lighting!

As said before the dash lights went out. I was going to go all LED anyway, so I added LED strips behind where the Speedometer was. Just tapped the wire into the factory "fog light" switch which goes on and off with the headlight switch. Pretty simple really.

Inside lights haven't ever worked. Took a tip from Troy and got some truck inside lights at Pep boys. Again controlled by the headlight switch. Looks pretty close to stock! Honestly just mounted it with 3M tape which works just fine. Might switch the bulbs to LED's at some point.

Thinking about ordering a Carpet kit. Used google but any suggestions?

Also, looking for a Roll bar that will be a Light bar...

Nice looking truck bro. I personally have never had any luck finding carpet or vinyl kits that were actually molded correctly to fit without having wrinkles in it. I'm not saying that they aren't out there. I finally got mine out of a late model XJ and cut it. I'm more happy with that than I was with my aftermarket carpet and vinyl.

Maybe I'll look around at Junk Yards for Carpet.

Got a shop to do the E-Brake.  $400 for it. They had to run all new cables. I guess its nice to have, don't have to use the old rock in front of the tire on a hill trick anymore.

Next thing, U-Joint in the rear axle. Looked at it today and its pretty loose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update with a question at the end (With Video!)

4x4 dumb CAD is broken so I'll be just making it full time here in the next week. Still haven't done the U-Joint. :(

Got a new Clutch master cylinder. But its still leaking fluid, so I assume the Slave is broken?

And started doing this. Cable going bad?

• 3 weeks later...

Well. Finally got around to messing with the Truck once again. Did the CAD Fix, which was simple, thought I didn't move any C-Clips, hope thats okay. Been using it as a DD and I quite like it.

Worst. Smell. Ever. (Gear Oil)

The day I got it back from the shop. Got a new clutch line on and everything is fixed up!

Also. Found Rust in the floor today. See it from the bottom (Have yet to pull carpet) So I'll need to start looking into replacement/repair for this. What did you guys do?

• 8 months later...

Welp.  I'm back state side.  Was an amazing trip through Australia and India.  Probably going to go back to school now for a Masters Degree.  Anyway.

Truck was used a lot while I was gone, I was constantly getting messages like "Hey, can I use your truck this weekend?"  Which is pretty awesome and one of the reasons I bought it!  So I was happy to help.

Not planning on doing to much to it for a little while but running it as is.  I'll put the topper back on in the next few weeks.  Then sleep in it up in the mountains some nights while snowboarding.  

Pics to come soon!

• 4 weeks later...

It's not PERFECT. There's some chips in the corners. But overall, for the price, I still like it. It's been 1 year. Hopefully I'll wax it in the next month.

Finally put the topper back on. I like it. I need some light back there though, what have you guys done in the past...?

5avu7eta.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Believe I'm at 222k now. Been a solid truck for me over the last two years, thing has taken me just about everywhere and even though it is clearly a cheap paint job, I get compliments everywhere I go.

Thinking about turning it into more of a expedition rig, but I'm not sure what my funds will think about that. 

Instagrammy...

nenypete.jpg