blower motor switch

before it gets cold i need to ask. my heater blower only works on high. i put a new motor in it because it was squeeling really badly but now i only have high speed. is my switch gone?

Nope. Your resistor pack is gone. The switch can only turn power on and off, it can't control speed. To do that, there's a resistor pack under the dashboard on the passenger side. High speed is full power, so no resistor. The slower speeds all have power directed through resistors of varying resistances. They are in a unitized assembly that gets replaced as a package. Typically, when the resistors burn out you have a fan that's either OFF or runs at full speed.

I have a little isuzu that had the exact same problem, i unplugged the electrical plug that plugs into the back of the air controler and found corrosion on the tabs. Once i cleaned them up it has worked like new.

might save you from having to tear apart your dash.

Nope. Your resistor pack is gone. The switch can only turn power on and off, it can't control speed. To do that, there's a resistor pack under the dashboard on the passenger side. High speed is full power, so no resistor. The slower speeds all have power directed through resistors of varying resistances. They are in a unitized assembly that gets replaced as a package. Typically, when the resistors burn out you have a fan that's either OFF or runs at full speed.

well that sucks. anyone have a picture of what this looks like. maybe i can find one at the junkyard

don't bother with the junkyard. they are likely as bad as yours. it's a common issue with all sorts of cars/trucks. I've replaced them in about a dozen different things so far. hardest was the 96 grand marquis. that one sucked. :ack:

A recent scientific study has proven that when replacing a bad part a new one will last longer because it is new.

A recent scientific study has proven that when replacing a bad part a used one will last longer because any bad ones have already quit but a used one that still works has proven that it's good. umn.gif