XJ & MJ lugnuts

Are XJ and MJ lug nuts the same from the factory? My 87 needs some new ones. teamcherokee.com has XJ OEM equivalent that look like MJ ones. Just want to make sure before I buy them.

I would try to find a set of solid lugs instead of the factory capped versions. You should be able to pick some up at your local auto parts stores.

Upgrade instead of replace.

Rob

Ok, but do you know the answer to the question above?

Check Amazon and EBay, too. I bought my chrome solid lug nut set there. If you're using steel wheels make sure you get the beveled end style. The ones for alloy wheels have a longer shank. Amazon had sets with and without locking lugs.

The reasons I prefer the factory lug nuts are that (1) the caps are stainless steel and don't rust. I have yet to have a set of chromed aftermarket lug nuts survive a single winter without being destroyed by rust; (2) All the solid, chromed aftermarket lug nuts I've ever seen take a 13/16" socket rather than a 3/4" socket like the factory lug nuts. I carry a 4-way spanner in all my Jeeps so this isn't a major issue, but it's a PITA if all you have is the factory lug wrench ... and it won't fit your lug nuts.

That said, the factory lug nuts don't survive well when shops beat on them with air-powered impact wrenches. That's why I do ALL my own tire rotations and brake work. I have an impact gun and I do not use it on the lug nuts. I use the 4-way spanner for removal, and I use a torque wrench for installation. On my '88 Cherokee that I bought new, I think all but two (maybe three) of the lug nuts are the originals, and they're still perfect.