engine compatibility

I am hopefully getting a 95 engine to replace my clapped out 88 renix 4.0l

My question is: how similar are the blocks?

I know the heads are different, but I plan on swapping in a renix head to the 95 block.

any other opinions on this?

what sorts of mods would be required to run a 95 head with a renix comanche?

You'll be fine. I've done a few of these. You don't have to swap the head either if you don't want to.

Just use your intake and exhaust manifolds, dizzy, flywheel/flexplate and valve cover. Be sure to remove the coolant galley plug on the 95 engine so you have a place for your CTS.

Your Renix engine has a knock sensor, which the HO does not have, but the block *should* have a boss for it. You might have to drill and tap it, though.

Haven't found an early HO yet that wasn't drilled and tapped for the knock sensor.

Do the ports in the HO head line up to the Renix manifolds?

Exhaust, yes, intake.. not completely. I know it's been an issue for people swapping HO manifolds onto Renix heads. It will still work, though. May not even be noticeable.

Yes, the dizzy must stay with the electrical system.

Which generation transmission did you swap in? I don't know if there's a factory pilot bearing to use an older transmission behind a newer 4.0, like there is for a newer trans behind an older 4.0.

I put a '93 engine (out of a YJ) in my '89 MJ (BA10/NP231) and found that the pilot bearing from the older setup will fit in the newer one. The hole is stepped and will accept either bearing. Perhaps I got lucky. The engine had a complete rebuild done on it with a CompCams cam. I used a 7120 head and the '89 Renix intake and exhaust and sensors. (less the knock sensor) The only other issues I had was with the water pump and motor mounts. Had to use a water pump for the '89 engine and the motor mounts from the '89. It's been together and running fine for just about a year. Hope this info is of help.

Later,

Larry

Motor mounts were because your engine came out of a YJ. Water pump may have been also.

Water pump should go with what year's serpentine belt routing is used as some years use reverse rotation and some do not. Other than that all MJ/XJ water pumps look identical.

Do the ports in the HO head line up to the Renix manifolds?

Exhaust, yes, intake.. not completely. I know it's been an issue for people swapping HO manifolds onto Renix heads. It will still work, though. May not even be noticeable.

Yes, the dizzy must stay with the electrical system.

Which generation transmission did you swap in? I don't know if there's a factory pilot bearing to use an older transmission behind a newer 4.0, like there is for a newer trans behind an older 4.0.

I have an AX15 from a 1990 XJ, It was the same pilot bearing that came out when i swapped over from the pukey.

I have brown dog offroad motor mounts.

I have an AX15 from a 1990 XJ, It was the same pilot bearing that came out when i swapped over from the pukey.

That's what I was afraid of. I've never heard of a bearing/bushing that will work for that application. Hopefully someone's got that info for you.

Worst case, if you can't find one, you could swap the input shaft from your TJ trans in.

I don't see where the pilot bushing can possibly be an issue. The hole in the rear of the crank never changed to my knowledge.

It did. 87-91 and 92+ are different. Changed the same time as the tip of the input shaft.

I don't see where the pilot bushing can possibly be an issue. The hole in the rear of the crank never changed to my knowledge.

It did. 87-91 and 92+ are different. Changed the same time as the tip of the input shaft.

Somebody's gotta have one that will work.

Somebody's gotta have one that will work.

It's been quite common for people to put a newer trans with the bigger tip behind an older motor, when people do AX-15 swaps. This is easily fixed with the 74 CJ 304 bearing, which happens to have the correct OD and ID. I do not know of any that will work for the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everything seems pretty straightforward so far. have not actually started the swap yet, just getting parts, maybe tonight though.

The biggest thing I can think of now is what sort of procedure to make sure than the new engine with the old dizzy has the proper timing and will run.

Setting both engines at TDC is the best way to make this work?