engine compatibility

So I can just pop the whole 95 setup in minus the intake/exhaust manifolds and flywheel and such.

the distributor will work also?

No, the distributor will NOT work. You'll have to use the '88 distributor.

Setting both engines at TDC is the best way to make this work?

Setting both engines at TDC is the ONLY way to make this work. And don't forget these are 4-stroke engines -- each cylinder hits TDC twice for a complete intake-compression-power-exhaust cycle. Both engines have to be at TDC in the compression stroke.

Well, you better learn how or you'll have fits getting the replacemant started. It's super easy.

With #1 spark plug removed, turn the engine over clockwise using the 3/4" front crankshaft bolt. You will see the degree marks on your front cover. You will see the timing mark on the balancer. Mark them with chalk or white-out. While turning the engine over, put your finger/thumb over #1 spark plug hole. As the mark on the balancer approaches the marks on the front cover, if you are coming up on #1 TDC, pressure in the cylinder will push on your finger. If there's no pressure, you're at #6 TDC and need to crank the engine over til you see the marks coming together and you get pressure. Set the mark on the balancer to the 0 mark on the front cover.

well I got everything pulled and swapped over and put back in. finished off the last little bits today and started her up, runs and drives.

it seems like it is running rich though, any ideas?

It has a new O2 sensor (right around 1 year ago)

Just picked up some fuel injector cleaner

and a map sensor, haven't put in yet.

it did seem to run a bit rich with the old engine when it was cold in the morning or if I had it floored higher up in the revs.