Hockey stick door handles

Do the doors in Comanches (88 Pioneer in particular) have the holes for the hockey stick handles pre-punched/drilled? Picked up a grey set at pull-a-part the other day and never thought to pull the door panel to see what the hole looks like. Is it shaped like the stud on the upper end of the handle?

The upper end of these door handles go in and out of the clip at a 90* angle from the final install position. Rotate the lower end upward, push the stud into the clip, and then rotate the handle back to "lock" the stud into the clip. Secure with the long screws through the handle.

The above are correct, but what they didn't mention is that the clip for that upper stud is not in the door if you don't have the hockey stick armrests. It probably isn't available from the dealer now, so you'll need to go back to the junkyard, remove the door trim panels, and pop the stud retainers out of the doors.

Thanks for the replies. I had picked up on the 90 degree rotation as that's how I removed the handles from the XJ door after taking the screws out. Did not know about the clips, thought the door metal was maybe punched with that oval hole shape.

Back to pull-a-part after I find the door panel removal video again. Are the clips screwed or riveted to the door or do they just snap in?

Eagle - how long have you been working with Comanches? I've noticed that there are a few of you guys on the forum who always seem to have the answer or know where to find it. Thanks to all of you for being great resources for us Comanche neophytes!

There are the two screws in the arm rest and a few where the inside door handle are. It is also easier if you remove the inside plate for the mirror. After that you just pop the panel off. The plastic clips sit in a groove on the door panels and just push into a hole in the door.

I grabbed some clips at the yard when I upgraded.

They are push in and mangle out.

They are about a 1/2"tall and 1/4" wide phosphate steel in a plastic outer case

Check your doors first. My 88 already had them installed from the factory.

It was good news as the clips I pulled were almost FUBAR from the removal process.

You need a small pick and some small needlenose pliers to fold in the tab/teeth that hold them in place.

My truck came with the hockey stick door handles. The clips are plastic. I was not able to remove them at a JY without tearing them up. I found some on ebay awhile back.

One 87 Comanche, one 96 Cherokee, one 94 Cherokee. ALL had metal clips, but with a flexible plastic cover around them. Two of the three sets have been removed without issues, have not had a reason to remove the 3rd set.

OK - I'll pull off the door panels and check for clips. While I have them off I can check the inside of the doors and maybe put some decent speakers in. And install the Grand Cherokee weather stripping, etc. Just another item on the things to do to my Comanche list!

OK - I'll pull off the door panels and check for clips. While I have them off I can check the inside of the doors and maybe put some decent speakers in. And install the Grand Cherokee weather stripping, etc. Just another item on the things to do to my Comanche list!

Never heard of anyone using Grand Cherokee weather stripping on Comanches and older Cherokees. 97 and newer Cherokee weather stripping is what most people seem to use.