Dana 35 width question

Two questions...

1)What is the width of the D35 in an MJ, outside axle flange to outside axle flange

2) Is this how the width is usually measured?

I'm trying to compare to some sources for either a dana 44 or maybe a Ford rear end

Thanks in advance.

(BTW-Here's decent chart of Ford axles and applications. I couldn't find anything similar for the MJ or XJ.

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/Ford ... sions.html

I measured one I have sitting on saw horses in the backyard from brake assembly flange to flange is 54 3/4" (outside edge). From that flange to the wheel hub is another 3" on each side, totaling 60 3/4". I'm not sure how to measure axle width but I hope this helps.

Blue88Comanche-Thanks. I did know that much. I'm planning on increasing my odds of getting something that will work by sourcing from additional vehicles. Wish I had a Dana 44 out of a Cherokee or MJ. That would make it really easy.

MJRemi - that is very helpful. Did that 35 come out of a Comanche or Cherokee? if you know what year that would also be helpful (for the XJ)

Thanks to both of you.

a rough measurment of the mj 44 i have is 60 1/2" WMS to WMS with the drums off. i also have a 8.8 that came with my mj, guy didnt have spacers on it so the 35x12.50 tires would rub the rail from time to time. put some 1.25" spacers on and fixed the problem, just had to trim the wheel studs becuase i didnt get the 1.5" spacer. everybopdy has their own opnion, but i would prefer a 8.8 over a 44. they are alot cheaper and easier to come but, and according to my randys ring and pinion axle book they are a little stronger in about every way, down side is the pumpkin is bigger so a little loss in ground clearance there.

cody4359-

Cool. The 8.8 is one of the options I'm considering. I also thought about a Ford 9" My buddy (not a Jeep guy) says that they are really easy to work on and if you need to shorten the axles it's not the worst thing in the world.

What does "WMS" stand for?

I just put an 8.8 in 35 Dollars... Just had to buy a set of perches and put them on. The axle is a little bit narrower than the D30 in the front. It also has an offset pumpkin, which worked out great for me - it allowed that big, dumb driveshaft to allow me in put the fuel tank skidplate back on.

Great axles from all the research I've done.

I just confirmed the ratio on my MJ today. It's 3.07 according to the BOM number on the front axle. No wonder the I6 can't push the thing through the wind in fifth gear!

Think I'll pass on the 8.25. I'm probably going for the 4.10 combo in a Ford 9" (and maybe some disc brakes from a Ford 8.8") with another Dana 30 from either than MJ or XJ with a four cylinder. That's what I'm thinking right now.

All the info O got on this thread has been really helpful in getting this stuff to the next phase.

mvusse - For future reference I'm in Indianapolis. Still looking for other MJ parts. PM me if you have other stuff for sale.