aftermarket/factory air?

call me a wimp, I don't care. 104* temps is too hot to be driving the comanche with no AC. I did a search and most everything I found was sell and buy a new jeep. well that is not an option for me. Would it be practical to swap an ac system over from a donor? or is there an aftermarket system that might be easier? I did a google search but everything I found seemed to be for a wrangler. Any insight on this? It would really make me want to use the truck alot more. thanks guys

the truth remains that it likely won't be cheap, and it sure ain't going to be easy. certainly not in this insane heat. :ack:

I would source a donor Jeep of the same era. and I'd convert to the newer r-134 at the same time. :thumbsup:

I did this conversion on my 87, with a complete 86 donor. You'll need all the parts from a like engined and similar model year donor, including the compressor, compressor mounting, new serpentine belt for AC, all lines, condenser, entire HVAC box under the dash and half of the dash wiring, and heater/ AC control head. The under dash wiring on mine plugged right up to the main dash harness with no other mods. But the dash does have to be removed to change out the HVAC box assy that includes the evaporator and all the other added controls. Under the hood I had to do a little custom wiring, but some of it was already there, including an unused plug for "dealer installed AC". I worked off that plug with a factory wiring diagram to finish the wiring I needed under the hood, but I'm not sure the 4.0L trucks have this plug or not. Mine is a 4 cylinder. Somewhere on comancheclub is a link to a downloadable factory service manual with all wiring for an 88 model that helped me a lot. Its a big job, but can be done. Good luck.