best way to fix my r12 system

sorry I didn't have an intro but i live in TX and its been in the 100's for the past few days and its TERRIBLE with no a/c. I have the old r12 system and I'm trying to figure out what ways to have a working a/c as fast as possible and wondering what my options would be.

I was thinking about doing the conversion but don't know what's involved. I would be doing it myself and I would consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined. the other option was NAPA makes a super cheap conversion with some oil and a couple different adapters. Has anyone used this? I purchased it but I'm not to sure on it. what would you guys suggest? I HAVE to have A/c!!!!! its TEXAS!!!

I appreciate your situation. It's been 106 here the last 4 days. Since you already have the NAPA conversion, just go with it.

I was wondering if anyone else has used it and if it was any good.

I haven't used it, but my brother's best friend is a retired Jeep service manager. He has done at least 50 of these conversions and he says they work fine.

Basic instuctions are: Install the fittings, use a vacuum pump with correct hookups to pull a vacuum on the system for about an hour to remove any old remaining oil, install new R134a refrigerant, and add new oil to the system. Youll also need to find the original spec for the amount of R12 and convert that amount to the needed amount of R134a. If your old system didnt have any refrigerant left in it, its possible that it leaked out, and that your new refrigerant will leak out as well. Then youll need to figure out what parts are leaking and replace them and start over again. Then theres the procedure for the valves on top of the compressor.... I can't really explain those right now. Thats how you do it right.

so most likely I'm going to have to have someone with more experience with A/C

To properly do it, it's best to take it somewhere where they can draw it down under vacuum, leak test it, and charge the system proper. Moisture is your enemy, without a vacuum pump, it's tough to clear the system as needed. Check your components for obvious leaks or damage, then take it to a shop.

Rob :cheers:

My friends and I tried putting the 134 conversion oil in my system and it wouldnt even get out of the can, and we had it hooked to the post on the right with the max a/c going. There was absolutely nothing in the system given it sat for 8 years before I got to it, so what am I doing wrong? :???: