'96 Isuzu Rodeo

Going to take a look at a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo, 3.2, auto, 4:31 axles. Thinking about pulling the axles for a MJ swap. Not being familiar with the Isuzu or the swap, Other than what I've read here, would like some feed back on whether it's practical or to forget it. I'm seeking your opinion on this. :popcorn:

front is IFS so that won't do you much good. but the rear 44 is a great match to the grand wagoneer front axle. :thumbsup: same width and bolt pattern. you'll need to get the grand waggy axle regeared though.

Jim, you planning to put those new/old R&Ps in it? The Isuzu D44 isn't the same as a Regular 44. Internally, its its own animal among D44s. Different bearing sizes, R&Ps, everything is just a little different, but a bit on the beefier side. A regular D44 master install kit won't work.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603807

attachment.php?attachmentid=319750&stc=1&d=1187018970

Thanks all for the input. Don, You are a veritable well of useful info. Thanks. I picked up a '89 long bed MJ, 4.0 5 speed without axles a while back. As long as I have to replace them thought I would go with something a little beefier. Didn't know about the IFS. Well see. When I pulled up the floor mats I found wear marks on the paint. Bummer. (Loves to rub it in on the rust belt boys. :fs2:

Jay, After reading your link to Pirate, Good article, I'm thinking I'm going about this wrong. I have several axles out of late '90's and up to 2005 Grand cherokee's. I won't have 4.** ratio but I will have stronger, matching axles. Right now I have a '98, 2003 and a 2005 Grand Cherokee that's been rolled but still run. Other than drive them around the yard to check out how they run, I haven't touched them yet. Was thinking about swapping out the complete drive train, 5.2 or 5.7 with auto into a MJ but from what I.ve read it's to crowded. Must be getting old, A couple years ago that wouldn't of even slowed me down. LOL.

Jim, you planning to put those new/old R&Ps in it? The Isuzu D44 isn't the same as a Regular 44. Internally, its its own animal among D44s. Different bearing sizes, R&Ps, everything is just a little different, but a bit on the beefier side. A regular D44 master install kit won't work.

That only applies to 1998 and newer Isuzu/Honda D44s Jay. The R&P gears, diff, shims, kits, etc. are identical to the older MJ/XJ D44s. I used a 96 Honda Passport Trac-Loc diff when I had my MJ D44 regeared. Sayonara. :D

if left to my own devices... :yes:

but neohic was kind enough to weld in something a bit stiffer than duct tape. :bowdown:

185427_109671662465039_100002666186219_68317_2415569_n.jpg

Speaking of which, you never updated any of your builds.

How I feel MJs *should* have come from the factory

Getting the paint on before the paint goes bad...

'sup with that? Sorry, Jim. :hijack:

unfortunately they sit pretty much where the guys left them so many months ago. :( the 90 stll needs wiring done, the 88 needs little things all over (especially that special and expensive new track bar bolt that I lost around here somehow :fs1: ). I'm going to be in and out of Georgia for the next month, but once I'm back in michigan I'm going to get one of them running enough to go wheeling. comanche.gif