1986 Comanche 4x4 front locking mechanism

My 4x4 system works for the most part, but is does whine when engaged, and the 4x4 dash indicator take a while to show correctly.

How do these old Jeep 4x4 systems work up front so i can look into making function better?

that's an interesting design, i was expecting something involving locking hubs like Ford and GM.

are y'all talking about bypassing that odd locking device? what actuates the vacuum?

What kind of mpg change comes from the added drag of the axles and driveshaft rotating?

You won't notice any difference. :thumbsup: the amount of power it takes to spin a few pounds of steel is nothing compared to the 3500 pound truck moving down the road.

If there's a bad U-joint in the front driveshaft, you might feel it. (not necessarily a bad thing since it should be replaced)

best bet is to bypass it altogether. this is one of the ways to do it:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... =9&t=18415

also, double check that the oil levels are topped off in the axles and t-case.

I just did this about 2 weeks ago! Like the walkthrough says, that fork won't want to move, but it will with enough influence! I had to figure out which nipple on it was the "exhale" and hold it closed while i GENTLY beat the fork with a hammer. I did it right at the bend since that seemed strongest to me, and it worked thus far. if it breaks i'll be welding something to replace it since a newer axle isnt in the funds. Oh, and I plugged the old vacuum lines with a gob of epoxy on each one!