D35 leaking again..../D44 upgrade

Yep....I'm looking for a D44 to replace my D35. In mpls MN. I'm also looking for someone to install it. Currently I have a pinched nerve causing loss of feeling in my left hand, so the install myself is not an option. Anybody in/near Mpls. MN. have a recommendation on where to find one, and who to have install it that would rock.

-Erin

a 44 can be a hard find. you'll have a better shot at a 29 spline 8.25 from a late model XJ (97+). just about as strong and infinitely more available. but not all xjs had the 8.25, so you make sure you don't buy a 35 accidentally. :D oh, and earlier 8.25s will only be 27 spline.

either way, give car-part.com a shot for junkyard searching. :thumbsup:

Yup. As luck would have it, I had a shop replace the pinion seal on my D35 8 months ago. They want to see it, its most likely under warranty to get it replaced again. This will at least buy me more time to get everything together to swap.

-E.

either way, give car-part.com a shot for junkyard searching. :thumbsup:

Some advice regarding car-part.com: During my two year search for an MJ Dana 44 I used car-part.com quite a bit trying to find one fairly close by. Of the three I found advertised within driving distance that I went to look at, all three were D35s. :fs1: I don't know if the yard monkeys in your area are like the morons here, but before driving out 100 miles or so to look have them snap a pic of the pumpkin and email it to you first. If they refuse to do it, look elsewhere.

Any ford 8.8 outa I believe a late 90s, early 00s. Look for one with disk brakes. I believe you could 3.73s, and 4.10s. Excellent choice for a rear axle.

I'm in the process of swapping in a 98 (29 spline) 8.25 into my 88. I bought a 3" axle tube 'simple swap' kit from Ruff Stuff Specialites. Get u-bolts, spring pads, and shock mounts for around 120 bucks. Pretty cheap considering I can't touch a u-bolt around here for less then 25 bucks.

I personally have not seen many D44 rears in MJs. I almost pissed myself when I seen my 'new' 91 had one when I was strapping it on the trailer. I have got a XJ one before. So thats a whole 2 that ive seen in the 10 years I been messing with Jeeps....23 XJs, 9 MJs. Please don't pay NO MORE then 200 dollars for one if you can find one. People think they are made of solid gold. I sold my XJ 44 for 150 bucks. They just aint worth anymore then that in the rear world.

IMO, a 8.25 would be the best swap. You can find them from 50-150 dollars. Pertaining to wheeling, they are just as strong as a Dana 44, just not as much aftermarket support. I pounded the hell out of a 27 spline locked on 35s for a year, sold the jeep, its now on 33s and getting beat on and has never broke. Cannot say the same for the poor Dana 30 tho...

If there is nothing wrong with your 35, leave it alone.

I've had crappy luck when it comes to the D35. Ive been through 3 axle rebuilds in my previous 99 xj and this will make the 2nd pinion seal in the MJ. (IF its under the shop warranty) I do not wheel my MJ....(its stock 2x4) I just want a rear axle that won't continuously have issues. I also do not care if it has drum brakes or disc. (drum brake would be easier) Heck, if I could find a non C-clip D35 even that would be a better option than what I have....I also do not want to ditch the MJ. (its a great truck minus the rear axle issues)

-E.