Steering pump question

Hey guys! Three weeks ago my steering pump started to do a low noise like it was low on fluid I put some in it but the sound didn't stop. Past weekend it started to do it louder, but only when it was hot, so I though it was time to change fluid. I pulled the reseviour and :mad: there was a nut inside it! How could it be? :???: It fits perfectly inside the return line! So, I think made its way to the pump, 'cause the pump its making a louder noise even if it is cold. My mechanic said it can be rebuilt, but we don't know if the nut damaged something else inside the pump, so, it maybe will be too expensive. In my country is very difficult to find Jeep parts, but I saw a 4.0L Cherokee in a junk yard, and I was thinking, will a 4.0L steering pump fit my 2.5? What is involved in doing that?

Mechanically the 4.0 pump will bolt onto the 2.5

. The problem is the 2.5 resrvoir is remote and the 4.0 is one piece. Using the 4 pump on a 2.5 the filler cap interferes with the air intake hose from the filter to the intake. You can dimple the hose or just leave it off and use a different air filter.

Got curious so I went thru the yard to see what I could find. The top cover for '91 up 2.5's will fit the earlier versions and the take off for the hose is farther to the rear so you can access the steering reservoir. The vacuum fittings are different, depending on year and model but that should not be an insurmountable problem. And their is always aftermarket air cleaners that can be used. Just don't run yer Jeep without one.

How difficult is it to swap the pump? My box was leaking badly on my '99 XJ, but after replacing the box, steering is very difficult. I believe my pump is probably on its way out.

Very easy on the 99. Loosen/remove the belt, pull the hoses, then remove the three bolts that attach it to the mounting arm. Come right off with the reservoir.

Did you replace the steering gear box with another OEM box or with a quick ratio ZJ box?

I went to a muffler shop and asked them to bend me a tube, they did and it's not perfect but at the time I did not have the hole drilled nor a coupler for the plenum. It's not perfect be when I get around to it I'll have them bend me another.

Could be bent around self-contain power steering pump.

Air boxes suck.

Been casually thinking of a way to get around the 4.0 in my wife XJ too.......gotta be a way.