Anyone wire in their own cd player?

it's pretty straight forward. If you have to run new wires completely get your key'd switch power from your cig lighter that where stock grabs it, atleast in my rig and it's still factory wiring. Otherwise all you need is 12v constant, ground, and an antenna. The speaker wires can be chased out with a continuity meter because the cab is so small, although if you're going to be running nice speakers you may consider pulling new speaker wires as the stock ones are probably 16 gauge

IIRC, even if it came radio delete (Like an '87 I had) under where the radio should be, there is a harness that's plugged into itself. This is the factory radio wiring. The only thing that needs to be added is a fuse to the box, and pick up the dead ends of the speaker wires in the kickpanels.

Rob

so did the 86' Custom have four speakers? I can't find the wires to the speakers, what color are they? I don't have any speakers at all. Do they have some kind of connector cause i have a few unconnected wires. or would it just be easier to route my own new wires from the aftermarket cd players wire harness.

I found a list of all the wires and their purpose. one wire Red is 12volts Constant, and one is a 12v Switched power. Do both of these need to be hooked up for the radio to function? I only wired the constant and the ground(before i learned about these wires) and couldn't get the radio working. The fuses under the dash are ok, and so is the one on the radio's wire.

The radio will need the constant for memory storage, and the ignition to come alive and shut off with the key. A good ground is also crucial. From there it should actually turn on. Make sure the ign wire is actually hot with the key.

Rob

I found a list of all the wires and their purpose. one wire Red is 12volts Constant, and one is a 12v Switched power. Do both of these need to be hooked up for the radio to function? I only wired the constant and the ground(before i learned about these wires) and couldn't get the radio working. The fuses under the dash are ok, and so is the one on the radio's wire.

Yes the radio needs constant 12v and the 12v switched/accessory power. and a ground. some require an antenna to be connected aswell.

most aftermarket radios will also have a Cont. wire don't connect this to anything. also an amp turn on wire, and an ant power wire. you won't connect that unless you have a power antenna. all other wires are usually speaker wires.

If you're going to wire up a stock or mid-range power deck than I'd use the stock wiring that exists in the MJ. There are a couple of open "ACC" plugs in the fuse box that you can tap into with a simple spade connector for the constant power line if needed.

However, if you're planning on a decent aftermarket system with an amp, then disregard the existing radio wiring harness and get a deck/radio with 4 or 6 (depending on how many speakers you're running) RCA pre-outputs on the back and run good quality RCA speaker wires from the back of the Deck to your amp, then out to the speakers with standard auto speaker wires. Tap into the fuse block with one of the ACC openings for your constant power needs. I'm not certain, but the other day I was playing with mine (to run power for a couple of off road lights), most of those openings are constant power, that means they are not "keyed on" type openings. But its easy to find a "keyed on" power source if you have a DMM. There are several electrical gurus on the forum who will correct me if needed.

Bottom line, its very easy to wire up an aftermarket system without using the existing speaker wires. A keyed power wire and a constant power wire should be all that's needed if you use RCA speaker wires to connect the deck to the amp, that is if you're using an amp. If not, and your powering the speakers off the deck, then the existing factory speaker wires should be satisfactory. Then just pull the door panels and the "B" panels and check the wire colors, they should be constant from the factory connector in the dash behind the radio.

I just want a working stock setup

Hooking up both 12v seemed to do something, now the radio has power, it just says "set".

I don't see how the rear speakers are mounted, but I'll buy a set for the front and see what happens. I found the passenger front wires at least.

I just want a working stock setup

Hooking up both 12v seemed to do something, now the radio has power, it just says "set".

I don't see how the rear speakers are mounted, but I'll buy a set for the front and see what happens. I found the passenger front wires at least.

What brand / Model is this stereo you're adding?

I made my own rear speaker brackets with some thin gauge sheet metal. here's a link to photos and measurements for a stock bracket. It fits behind the rear kick panels. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29058&p=292636&hilit=then+starting+from+the+rear+speaker+then+starting+from+the+#p292636

It's an older Panasonic cd player, non detachable face. Idk the model off hand. I tried pushing all the buttons but I couldn't get to say more than "set"

Well I assume it's in a setup mode, however some older decks had limited display words and had lock out features. It could also have bad buttons or is in a default mode and needs reset. (often a little pin hole)

First thing I would do is connect atleast two speakers and make sure no other wires could be crossed or shorted. Don't forget an antenna wire, sony's awhile ago required an antenna to be plugged in to turn on, not sure about pan

find the model number and look up the manual if "set" still appears find out if it has an anti-theft code, or a reset button. My stock 98 VW had a turn on password from no power i found out as i changed the battery and a series of buttons have to be pressed to get a three digit number to show up luckily the number was written on the top of the stereo when i pulled it.

Alright I got the radio to work; however I ended up running a wire to the Acc. port and another to the IGN port on the fuse box. I ran the wires to the radio's ign wire and constant. The radio still shuts off entirely when I shut the truck off (no saved settings)

Can anyone tell me where the connectors for the rear speakers are?