Found Trans - What do you think?

I was at a clients today - an auto mechanic. Behind his shop is a large field full of car and trucks in various pieces. He was out cleaning up the land figuring out what he had and what he would get rid of. I asked if he had any jeeps. He said yes. He has one with a six cylinder and a 5 spd. My ears really perked up then. He couldn't tell what kind or year it was.

I went out to look at it. What was left of it - it had been used for parts - was an early 90's Cherokee. (The last owner/driver must have been a Mary Kaye sales rep. Guess what color it is?) The interior is mostly gone, no seats. The lower half of the rear was cut off. The rear axel is gone. No doors. The right front fender and passenger side were damaged. It is just sitting on the dirt.

It does have the front axel, the 4 liter engine and the 5 spd trans. We couldn't see it, but the shifters were attached, both the trans and transfer. The sticker in the engine compartment showed it was a Chrysler, so it is after 89.

Here's my issues:

I have the BA10 in my '87. I have gotten an estimate for a Jasper reman trans for approx. $2700. If this is an AX15, and it probably is based on the estimated year of the Cherokee, is it worth getting? If it is less then the Jasper, I can save a lot on a restoration. I have been told that the manual trans are low to no maintenance. The odometer on the dash only showed 100008 miles. I know I can't trust it.

I would need to have it inspected to make sure it is good.

If I buy it, get it inspected and find out it is no good, I am out that $ and still need the Jasper.

What do you think?

How much does he want for the whole thing?

He didn't say; I didn't ask.

He also had laying on the ground another 4 litre with an automatic attached, and a separate auto trans.

He said there were some rear axels back there, but he did not show them to me. (Maybe the missing one.)

There was a late 60s/early 70s 2 door Cherokee in need of a lot TLC.

He's in Washington County MD. I don't know if he would send to AZ.

And am I so out of touch or ?

$2700 for a rebuilt trans?

Does it come with a date and a kiss?

The price quote was $2233 before installation and taxes. The description is "new", not reman.

And am I so out of touch or ?

$2700 for a rebuilt trans?

Does it come with a date and a kiss?

The price quote was $2233 before installation and taxes. The description is "new", not reman.

Your original post states 'reman'.

I don't' pay taxes........here in E TN with a 10% sales tax rate your quote would ring up something like $250. Screw'm.

I also do for myself, I don't pay others for what I can do on my own.

I picked up a 'known' good AX5 for $200 in Atlanta to replace mine when I get around to it. "Gear Works" IIRC is the name of the rebuilder also in Atlanta that advertizes $640 swap or a two day drop and they state that yours will likely cost less to rebuild.......so I will at some point in the future.

I understand apples to oranges.........rebuilt AX15 is $750 IIRC........ But I'll be dammed to pay $2700.

I don't know anything about the BA10.....don't care to either......not the point.

There is opportunity out there if you are willing to do a little work and extend a little effort.

I got a KNOWN good AW4 for nada from a member in town on NAXJA. I was offered a decent, running AX-15 for $200. I'm going with the AW4. I have all the other parts, I'm a grandpa and tired of shifting while bouncing a baby on my knee.

Nice to find stuff laying around but money's tight and old Jeeps are readily available. You can't take a leak around here without wetting the tire of an XJ, they're everywhere.

Jasper is a rebuilder. They don't sell new.

If the mechanic who has this thing is a client and you have a decent relationship, I would ask if you can take the tranny (and transfer case) on speculation, and pay for it if it checks out. Jeep changed from the BA10/5 to the AX-15 in the middle of the 1989 model run, so if this hulk says "Chrysler" on it, it is almost certainly an AX-15. It's easy to tell -- the BA10/5 case is split lengthwise into a left half and a right half. The AX-15 has a front section, a middle spacer, and a rear section. No split lengthwise.

Remember the input spline count for the transfer case went from 21 splines to 23 splines wiuth the AX-15, so you will need the transfer case with the tranny. Your '87 transfer case won't work with an AX-15.

Jasper is a rebuilder. They don't sell new.

If the mechanic who has this thing is a client and you have a decent relationship, I would ask if you can take the tranny (and transfer case) on speculation, and pay for it if it checks out. Jeep changed from the BA10/5 to the AX-15 in the middle of the 1989 model run, so if this hulk says "Chrysler" on it, it is almost certainly an AX-15. It's easy to tell -- the BA10/5 case is split lengthwise into a left half and a right half. The AX-15 has a front section, a middle spacer, and a rear section. No split lengthwise.

Remember the input spline count for the transfer case went from 21 splines to 23 splines wiuth the AX-15, so you will need the transfer case with the tranny. Your '87 transfer case won't work with an AX-15.

Thank. I though Jasper just rebuilt. The estimate my client gave had a conditions description of "new", but I figured it was "like new."

I can't tell what type it is, because it is sitting on the ground - only one tire on the front and no rear end attached.

I had not thought about the transfer case. Since the one I have in not compatable with the AX15, it may be worth pursuing further.