91 MJ 4x4 upgrade.

Hey guys I'm new to this but I have a91 MJ 4.0 auto that I would like to make 4x4 what parts do I need to get in order to make this work?I have no idea how to do it but I've heard it's not as hard as you think THANKS

and a 4wd trans, and a proper length rear shaft (most guys seem to get their old one shortened) and all the proper linkages. :thumbsup: don't forget that your front and rear gear ratios have to match.

Seems like a lot of work but it make the truck a lot more fun.What do you do for people like me who wnts but can't do the labor myself?I guess pay someone but that must be expensive.Should of just waited and got a4x4 but I got such a good deal on this 2wd

Join your local club wherever you live, most guys are more than willing to stop by and help out for pizza/beer.....I know I would

Get your shaft the right size for 4x4, then its about 400 bucks and a few hours to do the whole thing.

You might think you can't do it but if you have a jack and a set of wrenches you can do it easily

I suck at wrenching honestly but still accomplished two engine swaps and axle swaps

Wrenching on Jeeps always goes well with pizza and beer! My friends moms often make cookies and brownies, the hint of grease and dirt isn't that bad hahaha I'm about to help my friend do the swap on his MJ also, its really not that bad , take your time, label nuts and bolts, take pictures and if you get into some trouble were all here to give you some tips and advice. If I were you I'd put the front axle in first then take out the tranny and put the "new" tranny and transfer case in, cut your hole for the TC shifter and make sure it has a full range of motion, adjust your linkage while you can and then bolt everything in and get your driveshaft cut then pat yourself on the back :thumbsup: :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Seems like a lot of work but it make the truck a lot more fun.What do you do for people like me who wnts but can't do the labor myself?I guess pay someone but that must be expensive.Should of just waited and got a4x4 but I got such a good deal on this 2wd

I paid $250 to have the AX-15/231 installed, and I didn't know the mechanic. He did it right, you have to get a pilot bearing from a 79 CJ7, I think. I have to install the 4wd shifter and it'll be good to go. Used a Dana 30 front axle, and everything was out of a 99 Cherokee.

It's really not that big of a deal. I just did the same thing on my '91 and turned every single bolt myself...didn't have any help whatsoever, outside of advice.

You'll need :

4wd trans

Transfer case

Rear driveshaft

Front driveshaft

Front axle

Transfer case shifer & linkage

You can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want. Since my changover was done at the same time as a lift I also had to pony up for a locker, regear both front & rear axles, sye, springs, shocks, cv rear driveshaft, etc. In the end, my lift / 4wd conversion cost way more than the truck to start with. I am also bad about "while I'm at it" syndrome. As in, "while I'm at it, I may as well install new brakes, u-joints, ball joints, tie rod ends", etc.