Transmission / transfer case?

I'm sure the spline is different.

I have a trans out of a 94 XJ with matching TC. I also have a trans out of a 95 Wrangler that is sitting on my bench ready to install when I get around to it. Some claim the Wranger is clocked different so that the TC sits higher. I've looked to compare but I cannot tell without them being side by side.

If they are clocked different...........and I'm not beating the floor pan to compensate..........I will thread the holes in the trans and fill with set screws then redrill the holes to position the TC as it was.

We'll see........don't know.

I know the spline counts are different.

When you look at all the breaks it shows 90-95 and then 96-01. I just wondered if the newer style is needed with a newer transmission.

Also my understanding is no floor pan beating on the Comanche with the wrangler transmission?

You're both saying the spline counts are different... yet you're not comparing the 98 to anything. All AX-15s are 23 spline.

The Wrangler cases are clocked differently (difference is in the flange on the transmission, not the T-case itself), however you shouldn't need to beat the floor as long as you're using an AX-15 crossmember. It may be needed if you're using the BA10-5/AW-4/AX-4/5 crossmember.

What do you mean by "newer style" transfercase? Are you talking about the sealed rear output? Has nothing to do with the transmission.

Another thing to consider is the possibility of a twisted spline T-case... I haven't personally seen any, but I hear that they were used in the later years of the AW-4. One of these days I need to pop my T-case off and see what's in there.

It's possible to keep the case from the BA 10/5, however you'll need to swap in a 23 spline input shaft. There are differences in input shafts other than spline count however, I believe the gear tooth pitch was changed somewhere around 94-96.

If the vacuum port is your main concern, I suggest locking your CAD over, plugging all the vac lines, and forgetting about it anyway.