"Oscar" The building of a DD

Some major headway this evening in getting this truck prepped for paint. jamminz.gif

With help from a friend we got the rest of the decals and emblems stripped.

Then it was onto some fun with the rotary sander.

I got the new(er) grill and headlight bezels straightend out and when tonights work was over, this is what pulled back into the garage ;)

Ill probably get my paint and supplies later this week and quite possibly by the end of next week this sucker will have some paint :jump:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Completed the sanding today. Also installed a new cap/rotor and Wires ;)

Id noticed the steering was very "easy" to operate and kinda twitchy, Sure enough the old stabilizer could be collapsed with my pinky finger, I had a new Rough Country stabilizer on the shelf i never used so on it went 8)

All better. :clapping:

I decided to jump into this paint project full force this weekend. I got everything taped up Saturday afternoon.

Went ahead and sprayed the stripes on 1st, I would make it easyer to tape over them for the paint than to tape them off after paint. Also the overspray would be painted over as well. ;)

Late Saturday night I made a trip to Lowes and got all my supplies. After taping over the stripes after a few hours for drying, the 1st coat was applied and the truck began showing signs of new life.

Ive gotten 3 full coats applied now (Sunday night) and tomorrow evening the tape will all be removed! I'm anxious to see the end result and am very happy with where it is at this point!

Keep checking back! :cheers:

Ive gotten 3 full coats applied now (Sunday night) and tomorrow evening the tape will all be removed! I'm anxious to see the end result and am very happy with where it is at this point!

Looking good! How good does that Lowe's paint hold up? I'm thinking I might give that a go if I like how it turns out... :cheers: :thumbsup:

After a year+ on "Dads Wood Truck" the paint still looks as great as the day i applied it. That truck sits outside 24/7 in all the elements. That was enough proof for me. Sure you might not get the "new car" shine out of a roll on paint job but its sure more durable than anything besides maybe bedliner :thumbsup: Also very cheap compared to most paint ;)

Late Saturday night I made a trip to Lowes and got all my supplies. After taping over the stripes after a few hours for drying, the 1st coat was applied and the truck began showing signs of new life.

What supplies did you get? What sprayer did you use? What are the stats of the compressor you were using to spray with?

1 Gallon of premium outdoor Satain paint, 2 rollers a few foam brushes and went after it!

Yep....thats a roll on job, no compressor or spray gun ;) Well except the gold, that was just typical aresol spray paint.

If it works it works! :thumbsup:

Still have to clean up the rims, but it came out into the sunlight for the 1st time yesterday!

I got the color matched toolbox installed last evening as well :wrench:

Just gotta finish up the seats and get it a tag and shes ready for the road then :clapping:

Exhaust is all fixed up. Ive also added a few other things to make this truck alittle nicer on the road.

such as...

Cupholders!

And i replaced the extremely useless mirrors that came on this truck

With a set of "YJ" style mirrors

Much Better! She should be on the road next week :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced my 1st Water pump successfully last week, after the bearing was on its way out. :wrench:

Also have been chasing down a slight stumble but otherwise DDing this thing has been a blast so far. Still have to get a window regulator for the drivers side so i can roll the window down all the way. ;)

The rear bumper on this thing was a 1 night project thrown together by the PO. It served its purpose but sure wasnt classy at all...

So this evening, My cousin and I decided to clean it up a bit with a simple plate to cover the gap and transform this into a legit step bumper. We also took this time to work on our fabrication skills a bit as well. Blake trys his hand at the torch under his dads supervision.

After cleaning up the cuts with the grinder it was then time to get this plate secured in place. Blake helped me with the task of Welding as well.

When we were finished this evening this was our final product. It definently cleaned up much better and can successfully be used as step as needed. :wrench:

Ill get it painted up in the next couple weeks....another small project completed :cheers:

...another small project completed :cheers:

You sure? I bet you could find a good custom build one to put on there if you tried. :D Truck looks good. Still can't get over the dumpster picture!

• 1 month later...

Well while waiting for a set of Fuel Injectors to arrive to possibly help the performance of this thing alittle i decided to tackle another nusinense that came along with this truck.

The drivers window wouldnt roll down any further than this, due to a broken cable in the regulator...

So i decided to try out my 1st ever window regulator swap this evening. It went very smoothly and painless.

Broke vs replacement

All finished, with a rolled down window :D Yay no more looking like a jerk going through the Wendys drive through anymore :rotfl2:

Injectors should be here tomorrow and be installed over the weekend! :wrench: