Grand Cherokee?

pwrliftin

I'm now officially in the market for a new car, the monte only has to make it 4 more days to get me home. I've been looking at XJ's and know what to look for, but what about Grand Cherokees? Are there good years and bad years? What should I look for if I find one I like?

All comments are appreciated :bowdown:

I have a 05 WK Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8, I love it :yes:

I really would have wanted the 5.7 V8 or the 3 liter Turbo diesel, only because I use my WK to tow stuff when needed.

I personally have not had any problems with my Grand Cherokee. I do however have something against the last owners and their need to replace stuff with cheap aftermarket crap, and cut random speaker wires...

My Room Mate has a 01 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.0 I-6. he bought it a few months ago, and the last owner apparently did not keep it up well. we found this out a few weeks after he bought it. it still drives great, and is still dependable.

Former coworker of mine has a 93 with a 5.2 that's closing up on 300,000 miles without major breakdowns. A friend of mine just bough a 98 with the 5.9. He got 19 mpg on a long distance trip, but mileage around town is 9.

I'm staying away from the v8's. I haven't heard the best about them, plus I don't need it. I found an XJ near my house painted camo, It's got around 130k and its below my price range at 3500. Goin to check it out thursday to see if the camo is hiding major rust!

299941_247250528645775_100000824882082_640925_643689424_n.jpg

Every time I think of selling it, I just sit in it, and after a short ride, I convince myself the ride is too nice, the fuel mileage isn't horrid (18 in town, 22 hwy), and it's so quiet and comfortable. Plus, them steering wheel stereo controls are so convenient for a channel surfer as myself.

Rob

I've heard many people say ZJs with the 4.0 are like dogs... I've personally never drove one. I currently own a 96 ZJ with the 5.2... It's a peppy vehicle, when its running. The transmissions on these things are known to go, so definitely check out the fluid and make sure its not burnt or badly soiled, then you could be in for some trouble.

The 4.0 is a great engine, but it doesn't make enough power for a vehicle as heavy as a ZJ. It's not as bad as a 4 cylinder in an MJ, but not much better, either.

As far as rust goes in Ohio, that's why you buy one from the south. Either fly out to pick it up, or have a buddy drive you down.

I just bought a 93 grand cherokee and sold my 93 grand cherokee to my daughter. The problems I have had with is the radiators, they come with plastic tanks, up grade to a three core on both. Very nice ride, 4.0l engines are great. The 96 and newer models have rear disk brakes, the 42re transmissions are expensive but I always change the fluid every 12,000 miles and have not had any problems with mine. I really like the 242 transfer case over the other two. I also run 30 inch tires, and get 19 to 21 on the highway.

I have had a 93, 95, and now a 97 ZJ. All the 4.0 L6. The 4.0 is bulletproof and likewise about the auto tranny. My first two were the 242 and I now have a 249 tcase (which I HATE) so I highly recommend staying away from the 249. They have all been awesome vehicles, very comfy and a really nice DD and easily modded for light>heavy off road.

I prefer 96-98 vs the first gen, and the Laredo package vs limited as the Limited can have electrical issues which the Laredo as the Loredo doesn't have so many fancy doo-dads.

Cheers