looking for another hard rear brakeline on 89 MJ

All,

When I repaired my rear disc brakes a while back, I removed the solid brake line. However, I buggered up the nuts on each end. I called a Jeep dealer and they wanted around $160 bucks for a new one. I then went to NAPA and purchased a straight brake line and cut it to length and then tried to form the ends. I'm less than confident that my ends will seal properly.

So, I'm looking to either buy a new one somewhere, or pull one off an old Jeep Comanche or possibly an old Jeep Cherokee. Does anyone know if a Cherokee brake line will work on a Comanche?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Robert

When we swapped the AMC20 into our Green MJ we just went to Napa and purchased the straight lines with fittings already on them. They sell them in different lengths with fittings already crimped on the ends. We just measured an aprox length that we thought we needed and purchased the lines that were close. We than just hand-bent them to fit the contour of the axle. They have held up thus far.

100_2266.jpg

+2, just go to autozone and get the green colored "armour guard" brake lines, which stand up real well to salt and road use. You'll need SAE fitting, 3/16". To do it yourself, you need to double-flare the lines and it's not worth the hassle to buy the tools and practice and get it all right for just one line.

You can bend by hand but just be careful, gently give it some large radius bends ("guide" it rather than "bend") to avoid crimping or kinking the line at the bends, and you'll be fine.

I replaced every brake line on my first car when I was 16 with no guidance, it's not that hard.

A double flaring kit is only thirty bucks or so.

It's worth the investment if you're going to be working on older vehicles.

I agree that it's a good idea to have a double flaring kit, but spend the extra to get a good one. The cheap ones don't hold the line, so you get crappy flares that leak -- or you just can't get a flare. A friend of mine and I spent a couple of hours in his garage trying to do ONE stupid flare with a cheap Auto Zone flare tool, and never got it done. I got my flare tool set and the flare took maybe three minutes.