Rust

jimoshel

Has there ever been any effort to classify rust? Received a letter from a CC member asking about rust free MJ'S in Colorado. Got me to thinking which can really lead to bad things. What would be a rust free truck in the North East would be called a Rust Bucket in the South West, Is the rust interior, leaking doors, windshield, muddy shoes leading to rusty floorboards, or exterior, fenders, wheel wells, bed panels caused by road salts and bad air. If it's rusting out a Jeep body what's it doing to your lungs? If a rust spot has been repaired, does it make any difference whether the replacement panel was original or if a flat piece of tin was cut and bent to shape? Was the repair panel welded, pop riveted or held in with screws? How about establishing a standard whereby a Jeeper in Utah advertises a Jeep for sale with a slight rust spot under the left headlight would mean the same thing to a Jeeper in Michigan?

Examples of describing rust.

Light surface rust= Can be removed in a couple minutes with a Brillo pad.

all the way to

Rusted out=Panel needs to be removed and replaced.

Just rambling and wondering. I could go on for another hour on the subject but my coffees cold. Jim

:dunno: :hmm:

Well, judging by the local Craigslist ads...

Minor Surface Rust = You can put a finger through the body panels

Surface Rust = Whole fist through body panels

Rusty = There's an extra entrance/exit through either the floor, roof, of some other part of the body that used to be sheetmetal

Badly Rusted = You're buying a frame, at best

Well, judging by the local Craigslist ads...

Minor Surface Rust = You can put a finger through the body panels

Surface Rust = Whole fist through body panels

Rusty = There's an extra entrance/exit through either the floor, roof, of some other part of the body that used to be sheetmetal

Badly Rusted = You're buying a frame, at best

IMHO, you hit the nail on the head!