Need Frame Stiffener Advice TnT Ruff Stuff

Ok, I ordered my Rock Krawler 3 link X Factor and I was looking at getting some input on the difficulty of modifying a TnT or Ruff Stuff etc. frame stiffener to fit the Manche. I really don't have any fabricating skills, just a couple of friends who are expert welders. I know how to use a grinder, and could get the plating cut where our body supports are etc., just wanted to see what everyone else has done. Pictures would be a big plus. For sure I am putting on the Liquid Iron Industries in the front of the Uniframe. I also would like to weld my tabs for the lower control arm mounts onto the frame plating/stiffeners. Looking to draw upon the wealth of knowledge you all have. :bowdown:

the brackets for the RK long arms are not wide enough to fit over frame stiffeners. your going to have to cut out that section on the stiffeners (kind of defeating the purpose) or do some fabbing else where to make them work. i personally don't see a problem in cutting off the outers on the brackets and welding them straight onto the frame. IIRC thats how the first generations of the RK kits were. then again I'm sure theres a reason why they changed it. my brackets look nothing like the first gen kit.

yes, i just welded my passenger bracket straight to the frame. no issues to date and ive slammed down on that bracket hard more than once. i don't have stiffeners though

Thanks Eliminator, That's exactly what I wanted to know. So the XJ stiffys are not worth the time and effort to modify? Is there anyone that makes MJ specific stiffeners? Is plating good enough? I might be able to mock up some cardboard templates and have them cut with some rosettes and stitch weld them on. I know its not as strong as something with a bend in it, I am just too tool poor to make bends that contour to the frame. :dunno:

I had a couple hours, so I read through that build. He modified XJ stiffeners which did look like a huge PITA. I guess I will start looking at fabbing out some plates and going that route. Has to be better than nothing. Yes that build thread is :drool: That was some serious coin he dropped.

• 4 weeks later...
no company makes MJ mid stiffeners. some of the reason is because the MJ frame is inherently stronger than the XJ.

seriously?? cause ive been thinking all along that frame stiffeners were gonna be par for the course when youre getting into the 37"+ club. the LII frame stifferners are nice, but is nothing on the lower area, around the LCA's needed??

no company makes MJ mid stiffeners. some of the reason is because the MJ frame is inherently stronger than the XJ.

seriously?? cause ive been thinking all along that frame stiffeners were gonna be par for the course when youre getting into the 37"+ club. the LII frame stifferners are nice, but is nothing on the lower area, around the LCA's needed??

Yes. The MJ uniframe is stronger overall then a XJ. But it's not a bad idea to ad some extra beef when you are throwing heavy axles and tires under a MJ IMO.